New food items at Camden Yards

Going Underground

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I absolutely believe that an Orioles game is the best value for your entertainment dollar.  You can still get in for a reasonable price and spend next to nothing on food if you mostly bring your own.  Light rail or metro makes it even cheaper.

It's true.  Try getting into an NFL, NHL, NBA or even MLS game for the $14 Steve is going to spend this week.  The only way that's even theoretically possible would be StubHub'ing a ticket for way under face (I guess that's a thing?) and then not paying for parking or getting any food and drink.  I just got some DC United tickets, by the supporters section and the goal, about $50 a head and no way you're bringing any food or drink in.

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nice.  For me I'd be adding 180 miles of round trip gas, so something like $35.  But a ballgame at Camden Yards for $50 still isn't bad.  And I'd have to bring the kids and the wife and they'd be far less likely to play along with the cheap game thing.

“But dad, I don’t care if it’s only a dollar, all this guy has is warm cans of Diet Slice. I don’t even know what that is, but I know I’m not drinking it.” 

• 4 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Nice.  For me I'd be adding 180 miles of round trip gas, so something like $35.  But a ballgame at Camden Yards for $50 still isn't bad.  And I'd have to bring the kids and the wife and they'd be far less likely to play along with the cheap game thing.

I went to the game on Saturday with the wife and 2 of our 3 boys (youngest is still just 1 and wouldn't have been a good experience). We sat in 212 so they could escape into the air conditioning if necessary, and that was a good call because the sun was crushing our section until about the bottom of the 8th. Tickets alone we something like $370 for the 4 of us. Dinner was another $100 or so. Parking at the Marriot was $40, we got some gear at the team store, as well as other drinks and snacks throughout the game. I haven't done the math, but I'm sure I spent $700 on that game. A far cry from when my brother and I used to get the cheapest tix possible just to stand on the flag court together. 

3 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I went to the game on Saturday with the wife and 2 of our 3 boys (youngest is still just 1 and wouldn't have been a good experience). We sat in 212 so they could escape into the air conditioning if necessary, and that was a good call because the sun was crushing our section until about the bottom of the 8th. Tickets alone we something like $370 for the 4 of us. Dinner was another $100 or so. Parking at the Marriot was $40, we got some gear at the team store, as well as other drinks and snacks throughout the game. I haven't done the math, but I'm sure I spent $700 on that game. A far cry from when my brother and I used to get the cheapest tix possible just to stand on the flag court together. 

That's a ton of money for a single ballgame.  I'll try remember what I paid when I went with the family to see DC United get obliterated by Bayern last month.  Tickets were a huge gouge, about a $100 each, so $400 there.  Food was probably $100 or so. Didn't buy any merchandise. Parked at Ft. McNair, so that was also free.  Total of $500. Not cheap.  But for a normal game I could have gotten tickets for half that, so total would have been more like $300.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's a ton of money for a single ballgame.  I'll try remember what I paid when I went with the family to see DC United get obliterated by Bayern last month.  Tickets were a huge gouge, about a $100 each, so $400 there.  Food was probably $100 or so. Didn't buy any merchandise. Parked at Ft. McNair, so that was also free.  Total of $500. Not cheap.  But for a normal game I could have gotten tickets for half that, so total would have been more like $300.

Oh, it's completely obscene. Sorry if I wasn't clear that that was my point - LOL. In a totally self-inflicted way, too. 

I'm not too put off by it because I won't take my boys to more than 1 game a year for a while, but that was a comical final total.

I'd guess though that even a cheaper game with the 4 of us would end up being every bit of $300. 

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Oh, it's completely obscene. Sorry if I wasn't clear that that was my point - LOL. In a totally self-inflicted way, too. 

I'm not too put off by it because I won't take my boys to more than 1 game a year for a while, but that was a comical final total.

I'd guess though that even a cheaper game with the 4 of us would end up being every bit of $300. 

There's no way a normal family can afford that kind of thing more than once in a long while.  I have a buddy who's a huge soccer fan and wanted to go to that Bayern match to boo them with me, but he has three kids and his wife doesn't work outside the home so $600+ for him was a non-starter.

I have to think that season ticket holders mostly don't eat or drink at the park and find ways to limit parking costs and similar.  Either that or they're rich.  If you had a 15-game plan just for yourself and you spent like $60-70 on each ticket, $30-50 on food and drink, $20 to park, that's $2000 a year for one person and less than 20% of the schedule.  Anyone with a full season plan has to be some kind of senior executive or something.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Worse than the food prices are the prices at the Os store.  You can buy the stuff online for way less money.  I know they have rent but I have no idea who the hell pays those prices.

Season plan holders get 30 percent off food and merchandise, so I wouldn't be surprised if prices are jacked up nearly 30 percent to cover that benefit.