Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One thing we know: the O’s will be super-careful with him.  But I sure hope he gets into a few major league games this year so we can see what we’ve got and not need to do this drill next year.  

I hope he comes back in time to add some innings to his total this year because his inning total for this year is the baseline that will have X innings added to it to see how many he is allowed to get next year.

I don't know the value of X/

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And I believe the prescription is no throwing motion at all during the rehab period to let it heal.   So once he does start throwing again, he will have to build up all over again after some significant time of inactivity.

Correct.  He’s looking at the very least 6 weeks (if it’s not a bad tear and he heals quickly)of training room therapy and running before he even picks up a ball.  

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Didn't someone on here say some source said it was nothing but cramps ftom dehydration?

Believe so, also citing a source close to Grayson, and no reason to doubt the report...not hard to imagine it is what Grayson himself thought last night.   Max Scherzer gave preliminary guesses presumably based on "knowing his own body" about his current strain that were warrior-optimistic too.

Elias had been specific about "working him up to 100 pitches" in prior quotes, and maybe last night that was the target as he'd attained 7 innings in ~90 pitches the previous turn.    He is probably back to ~50 in Return Turn 1, and you know conservative handling is going to entail stepping him maybe 15 pitches/game.

Who are his challengers for #1 overall prospect in offseason lists?

Lat strains? Do some sit-ups. Get an ab wheel. 

At least it’s not the arm but we all know this means he’s done for the season. 

Wait, I thought someone’s sister’s bouyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with Grayson that said it wasn’t that serious at 31 flavors last night?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wait, I thought someone’s sister’s bouyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with Grayson that said it wasn’t that serious at 31 flavors last night?

Peachy is the flavor of the month but not for the Orioles  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

8fb2b0c1-0d2f-4ee6-acb1-0f88dbbaf585_tex

• Upvote 1

This was likely mentioned somewhere in the thread, but I’m going to say it anyway.  Let’s say this is a 3-6 month injury.  That’s disappointing for every organization, but it’s downright awful and possibly devastating to a low-spending (call it small market if you want) organization.  If we miss on 1 big prospect (GR will heal at some point, but let’s say this is the beginning of an injury-plagued career) it sets us back years.  For the Yankees, it would stink, but they would fill in with free agents.  We won’t be able to do that.   MLB has the worst system in all of sports as it relates to competitiveness.  What the Rays have done is miraculous.  We’re not the Rays and I don’t know if we can get there.  Taking GR out of this leaves DL Hall who already has injury concerns.  

I’m saddened by the situation with GR and hope he heals up quickly, but this just shed light on the macro concern of our true long-term ability to remain competitive.