Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

Couldn’t find a thread for him, please merge if it’s somewhere else. 

Making his Triple-A debut tonight, he looked at first as though he couldn’t get a feel for the ball.  Fastball was hitting 93, then crept up to 95, and by the end of the first reached 97. 

After walking his first batter, the next struck out on a beautiful breaking ball low and away. Next was what looked like a DP ball but was a bit too slow.  Finally got the the third out on a popup. 

Looked like it just took him a bit to settle in.  So great to see him pitching like his old self again. 

Only needed 61 pitches to get through 4 innings. 7 K's 1 BB. Other than service time I dont see any reason to keep him down much longer. He's about as ready as he's going to be. Appears to have fastball command and the changeup is basically unhittable. 

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Only needed 61 pitches to get through 4 innings. 7 K's 1 BB. Other than service time I dont see any reason to keep him down much longer. He's about as ready as he's going to be. Appears to have fastball command and the changeup is basically unhittable. 

Think he could use two more starts with Norfolk to really master the level. 

• Upvote 1

The 61 pitches would be a problem in the majors. How far is that going to get him in a major league game? This kid has to be able to at least get through 6 at triple A before I would call him up. They're probably being ultra careful with him given the short spring but let him build up before he gets the call. 

9 minutes ago, vab said:

The 61 pitches would be a problem in the majors. How far is that going to get him in a major league game? This kid has to be able to at least get through 6 at triple A before I would call him up. They're probably being ultra careful with him given the short spring but let him build up before he gets the call. 

How many ML pitchers get through six innings when they are only allowed to throw 61 pitches?

The O's don't let him go deep so he hasn't shown he can.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, vab said:

With the shortened spring (plus no minor league games in 2020), teams are gradually ramping up their pitchers when it comes to pitch counts.  Most are on very strict limits/regimens.  Greyson will probably throw 70-75 pitches in his next start, possibly reach the 80s the one after that, and so on.

17 minutes ago, yark14 said:

With the shortened spring (plus no minor league games in 2020), teams are gradually ramping up their pitchers when it comes to pitch counts.  Most are on very strict limits/regimens.  Greyson will probably throw 70-75 pitches in his next start, possibly reach the 80s the one after that, and so on.

They barely let him hit 80 last season.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They barely let him hit 80 last season.

Presumably because of the missed season in 2020. He threw 80 or more pitches 6 times last season and 11 times in 2019 (90+ in 3 of those outings). 

I do think they have been overly cautious with him, I hope he is throwing 90+ pitches  by the time he is stretched out but I am not holding my breath.