Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

4/8 to 4/19:  .306/.444/.694 (1.139 OPS) and a .292 babip.  8 Ks and 9 BBs over 45 PA.  

4/20 to 5/3:  .104/.157/.208 (.365 OPS) and a .133 babip.  17 Ks and 3 BBs over 51 PA.  

His HR LA wasn't the only thing high heading into 4/20.  His blazing start went up in smoke!  :)

What I read frOm this, w/r/t his BABiP is that he wasn’t lucky early and is unlucky now.

As Frobby said, the K rate isn’t great but he probably should have better overall numbers with a little luck.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

He get's his walks darn near every game.  His OBP is .308. with a .203 BABIP.  He's struggling right now.  Wouldn't be surprised if he picked it back up shortly.  

This is my opinion too.  We have yet to see Westburg struggle for an extended period of time, so there is probably undue attention on this. His peripherals are still pretty decent when you look at the big picture, including the numbers you provide. As another poster said if he’s still struggling in June, then there’s pause for concern. 

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Henderson was something like 1 for 40 when he first got to Aberdeen.

He was 1-for-31 with 12 Bb and 17 K's in his first 44 PAs. He was also just 19-years old and then went on slash .325/.402/.588/.990 over his next 92 PAs. Westburg's "slump" if combined with last year AA numbers has him slashing .212/.317/.414/.730 in 237 PAs in AA now. Last hope he turns it on soon.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He was 1-for-31 with 12 Bb and 17 K's in his first 44 PAs. He was also just 19-years old and then went on slash .325/.402/.588/.990 over his next 92 PAs. Westburg's "slump" if combined with last year AA numbers has him slashing .212/.317/.414/.730 in 237 PAs in AA now. Last hope he turns it on soon.

Take Sept and the first 15-20 games of this year and his AA numbers are off the charts.  The rest of the time he looks like he is completely over his head.  Crazy.

Im guessing, since we saw that his BABiP was really low during this slump, that he has been hitting into some bad luck.  

Jordan Westburg - Stats - Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

His Oppo% is 18.8% in 2022 vs 31.7% (AA) and 36.0% (A+) in 2021 (similar trend with Cowser as well).  Westburg's BB% has jumped from 10.8% to 15% and IFFB% has doubled to 22.7%. 

There are some similarities with a more patient approach to hitting and swinging for more power/elevation.  That's the shift in the hitting philosophy.

If he doesn’t pull out of his slump this week, I will begin to get concerned.  He was coming on strong at the end of last year at Bowie, and had a good start this year.   What the heck happened?   Four strikeouts in five PA today.  

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Take Sept and the first 15-20 games of this year and his AA numbers are off the charts.  The rest of the time he looks like he is completely over his head.  Crazy.

Im guessing, since we saw that his BABiP was really low during this slump, that he has been hitting into some bad luck.  

I haven't noticed him hitting into a lot of bad luck, but I don't see every PA either. Earlier in the year Mayo kept flying out to the warning track and had a lot of loud outs so I knew he would start hitting for some power eventually. I haven't really noticed that from Westburg. He seems to be struggling with his swing decisions a bit. But, there's talent in there so hopefully he start to figure this out soon. 

• Upvote 1

With re: to Westburg/Cowser and the swing decision thing. I mean, it's not like that hitting approach is breaking significantly new ground, right? Look for a pitch you do damage on and try to hit it hard. I'm not sure what about the systemic hitting philosophy could be tripping guys up this bad. At the end of the day, just swing hard at balls in the zone right? What am I missing? 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

With re: to Westburg/Cowser and the swing decision thing. I mean, it's not like that hitting approach is breaking significantly new ground, right? Look for a pitch you do damage on and try to hit it hard. I'm not sure what about the systemic hitting philosophy could be tripping guys up this bad. At the end of the day, just swing hard at balls in the zone right? What am I missing? 

So far as I know, what the O’s are espousing is no different from what Ted Williams was advocating in the 1960’s.   Don’t swing at pitchers’ pitches early in the count, even if they’re strikes.   Get a good pitch to hit.  Swing on a slightly upward plane, not level.   All things Ted was saying back then.   

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just because they're swinging at balls in the zone doesn't mean they're able to make contact.  

In regards to Westburg, I never really understood the excitement around him.  

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just because they're swinging at balls in the zone doesn't mean they're able to make contact.  

In regards to Westburg, I never really understood the excitement around him.  

But you never said anything until he was hitting .180?

• Haha 2