Potential comp and 2nd rounder picks

Setting aside the Jones/Termar/etc. prognostication at the top of the draft for a minute... who are you hoping drops, or we take in the next couple of picks?  BPA, but I hope they find an SP in one of those picks.

Three names I would like to see more on:

Justin Campbell (RHP) - low/mid-90 high spin FB, 50% whiff rate on CH.  

Cam Collier (3B) looks interesting. 

Sterling Thompson (3B)

Mock draft from Prospects Live;

33. Baltimore Orioles

Cade Doughty, Second Base, LSU

The Orioles have had a knack for drafting college performers and we have that continuing after going with Druw Jones with the first overall pick. Doughty has been one of the better pure hitters in college baseball this season and has the versatility to play anywhere on the infield for the O’s. His best position is second base. Doughty doesn’t get the most gaudy exit velocities, largely average, though he optimizes launch at the plate and should get into average power as a pro. Frankly, it’s similar to the path Alex Bregman took a handful of years ago. Florida 3B/RF Sterlin Thompson makes a lot of sense here as well.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-mock-draft-n78w7

• Upvote 2

On 4/23/2022 at 2:50 PM, Frobby said:

Mock draft from Prospects Live;

33. Baltimore Orioles

Cade Doughty, Second Base, LSU

The Orioles have had a knack for drafting college performers and we have that continuing after going with Druw Jones with the first overall pick. Doughty has been one of the better pure hitters in college baseball this season and has the versatility to play anywhere on the infield for the O’s. His best position is second base. Doughty doesn’t get the most gaudy exit velocities, largely average, though he optimizes launch at the plate and should get into average power as a pro. Frankly, it’s similar to the path Alex Bregman took a handful of years ago. Florida 3B/RF Sterlin Thompson makes a lot of sense here as well.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-mock-draft-n78w7

I'll be sick if the Nats get Green.

53 minutes ago, jamesenoch said:

I am wondering if the Orioles would be interested in either Kumar Rocker (assuming he is healthy) or Jud Fabian if they are available at either Competitive Balance Picks or in the 2nd round.

I'd assume we'd have at least some interest in Fabian -- we had interest in him last year. 

Fabian appears to have cut down on his K's significantly this year.  Last year, he K'd at a 35% rate.  This year, he's down to 25%.  He's already matched his BB's from last year in 19 fewer games.  His OBP is up from .364 to .447 and his SLG is up from .560 to .669.

• Upvote 2

On 4/25/2022 at 11:28 AM, jamesenoch said:

I am wondering if the Orioles would be interested in either Kumar Rocker (assuming he is healthy) or Jud Fabian if they are available at either Competitive Balance Picks or in the 2nd round.

The recent BA writers mock draft had Rocker going to Detroit at 1.12.  

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The recent BA writers mock draft had Rocker going to Detroit at 1.12.  

I'll be absolutely shocked if Rocker goes that high. He hasn't thrown (at least to anyone's knowledge or witness) in almost a year. I know '22 Draft is thin on top end pitching but that would be a seriously risky pick. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I frankly will be surprised if he goes Round 1 at all. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I'll be absolutely shocked if Rocker goes that high. He hasn't thrown (at least to anyone's knowledge or witness) in almost a year. I know '22 Draft is thin on top end pitching but that would be a seriously risky pick. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I frankly will be surprised if he goes Round 1 at all. 

Yeah, I kinda agree.  And he never got surgery to clean up whatever it was the Mets saw.  But the Mets medical track-record isn't exactly sterling either.  I hope they take an arm or more with those top 5 picks.  And I wouldn't be against taking him as a comp pick.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rocker is apparently planning on throwing in one of the showcase leagues 

I think picking one of the first round pitchers who fell due to TJ surgery would be a good way to use one of the comp/2nd round picks

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, seak05 said:

Rocker is apparently planning on throwing in one of the showcase leagues 

I think picking one of the first round pitchers who fell due to TJ surgery would be a good way to use one of the comp/2nd round picks

It'd be cool if he was on the Frederick Keys just to get eyes on him, though I don't know the actual rules for that weird league. Does he have to be actively enrolled in college to be in an MLB draft league?