The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

Is Tex even in ARod's class?

Class, probably better. Stats, no. The media will trash the O's because they ignored he possibility and yet jumped on the Nats. They look stupid. The final contract will be huge due to Boras, the Yanks play last year and BoSox reaction to the CC and AJ signings and needing to respond.

I just hope this thing ends soon. I prefer the game, not the games.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do those comps take defense into consideration?

No. But at the time ARod signed his original deal he was an excellent shortstop. When he signed his new deal he was probably an average-ish third baseman, which I would guess is about equivalent in value to an excellent first baseman.

Just a quick look :

ARod's closest comps through age 32 :

Hank Aaron, Mel Ott, Jimmy Fox, Ken Griffy, Mickey Mantle

Teixeira's closest comps through age 28:

Carlos Delgado, Kent Hrbek, Fred McGriff, Jim Thome and Will Clark.

Not sure that Tex is in ARod's league, though, in fairness, not many are.

I see Teix as more of a Thome and especially Palmeiro type player. The Hrbek and Clark comps don't really make a lot of sense.

The bottom line also had a quote from Tex saying "The Orioles and Nationals are in this just as much as the Red Sox and Angels." You think Tex is preparing everyone for his signing with a team that is not an "immediate winner"?

Is there an article with quotes from Tex out there that I've missed?

Just last night I bet my friend a 6 pack that we were getting Tex...

yeah, seriously, i'm betting o's tickets against my friends that are yankees fans that Tex is coming here. funny thing is, they all think the o's have no chance. is it dishonest (like insider trading) if you use information from belkast to make bets? b/c i've made several

If he can give us 5 years like Palmeiro did the first 5 would anyone on here really complain? Lets face it, Raffy was pretty awesome here during stint 1.

I wouldn't complain at all. If the rest of his contract was Raffy production after the fiasco when he was brought back, we'd be in a world of hurt at 23+ million a year.

If he can give us 5 years like Palmeiro did the first 5 would anyone on here really complain? Lets face it, Raffy was pretty awesome here during stint 1.

If we sign him to a 10 year deal and get Raffy's 1994-2003 years, when he was ages 29-39, then I will be very pleased.

I see Teix as more of a Thome and especially Palmeiro type player. The Hrbek and Clark comps don't really make a lot of sense.

They're firstbasemen. Other than that, I don't see a lot in common. Palmiero, minus the B-12 shots, would be a much better comp, in my opinion. I'd love to have that production in our lineup, again. With Roberts, Jones, Markakis, Teixeira, Huff, Wieters, and Scott/Freel at 1-7, you can afford a year of Mora at 8 and Izturis at 9.

The starting pitching, however....

Archived