Disappointing Starts

RZNJ

1. Zach Watson - Watson is repeating AA, presumably to work on his weak point, plate discipline.   With one walk and 10 strikeouts, it's not what we were hoping for.

2. Parick Dorrian - A darkhorse to become a "prospect", Dorrian put up interesting numbers last year in Bowie with strong power/walk numbers.   Unfortunately, the promotion to AAA has exacerbated his weakness which seems to be contact with 15K in 33 AB's so far.   The walks are still good and the damage per contact still good.  He's just not making contact.

3. Andrew Daschbach - In the same vein as Dorrian, contact is Daschbach's biggest issue and with 16K's in his first 26 AB's there's lots of room for improvement.

4. Colton Cowser - Sure, the OPS and average are fine but 14Ks in 27 AB's is not what we expected.   We assume he's just an adjustment from catching on fire again but no one likes to see those type of strikeout numbers for a top prospect college player in A+.

5. Cesar Prieto - His press clippings and spring training buzz suggested he'd breeze through Aberdeen before a quick promotion to Bowie.   He's been ok so far but a nice hot streak would make me feel better about him.

6. Moises Ramirez - Coming off a very strong GCL season last year, I was hoping the plate discipline numbers at GCL where he didn't garner many walks would not be an issue at Delmarva.   So far, it has.

• Upvote 4

Cowser OPS down into the lower 700s.  He’s #1 on the list even if it’s a SSS.

He should be tearing up that league if he is as advanced as they say he is.

Of course, his OPS could be in 1000s in a few days but still, he shouldn’t have too many hiccups at that level.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser OPS down into the lower 700s.  He’s #1 on the list even if it’s a SSS.

He should be tearing up that league if he is as advanced as they say he is.

Of course, his OPS could be in 1000s in a few days but still, he shouldn’t have too many hiccups at that level.

I'm shocked at his strikeouts so far. Maybe he's trying something new like trying to lift the ball more but considering he started the season in High-A ball, I did not expect the strikeouts. Hopefully it's a blip and not a trend.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:59 PM, RZNJ said:

1. Zach Watson - Watson is repeating AA, presumably to work on his weak point, plate discipline.   With one walk and 10 strikeouts, it's not what we were hoping for.

2. Parick Dorrian - A darkhorse to become a "prospect", Dorrian put up interesting numbers last year in Bowie with strong power/walk numbers.   Unfortunately, the promotion to AAA has exacerbated his weakness which seems to be contact with 15K in 33 AB's so far.   The walks are still good and the damage per contact still good.  He's just not making contact.

3. Andrew Daschbach - In the same vein as Dorrian, contact is Daschbach's biggest issue and with 16K's in his first 26 AB's there's lots of room for improvement.

4. Colton Cowser - Sure, the OPS and average are fine but 14Ks in 27 AB's is not what we expected.   We assume he's just an adjustment from catching on fire again but no one likes to see those type of strikeout numbers for a top prospect college player in A+.

5. Cesar Prieto - His press clippings and spring training buzz suggested he'd breeze through Aberdeen before a quick promotion to Bowie.   He's been ok so far but a nice hot streak would make me feel better about him.

6. Moises Ramirez - Coming off a very strong GCL season last year, I was hoping the plate discipline numbers at GCL where he didn't garner many walks would not be an issue at Delmarva.   So far, it has.

Dorrian had 2 more Ks today. Watson also with 2 and Cowser as well.

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley struck out a ton early on last year too.  Wonder if it’s just asking them to do something different?

True, but not at the rate Cower has struck out and with a higher walker rate.

Adley thru fist 9 games in AA vs Cowser at High-A

Name             PA   BB    K     BA       OBP    SLG    OPS
Rutschman   44    11     11    .219    .432    .438    .869
Cowser         41      5     17   .257    .342    .400    .742

I'm not going to panic, but I'm very surprised after watching him last year in Delmarva control the strike zone well.

This is a guy who struck out just 19 times in 124 PAs in Delmarva. Something changed and it's not working.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not going to panic, but I'm very surprised after watching him last year in Delmarva control the strike zone well.

This is a guy who struck out just 19 times in 124 PAs in Delmarva. Something changed and it's not working.

I figure he's messing with his launch angle.

Pure speculation based off of not watching an inning of his play this year.

It's hard to make much of it when Mullins is still whiffing at a pretty crazy rate to start the season. Obviously much different levels pitching-wise. But maybe Cowser's adjusting to a stuff increase at AA. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing if it's a result of a change that will ultimately make him a better hitter. Might just be ugly for awhile. We'll see... 

55 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he hasn’t reverted to his typical pattern after 100 PA, I’ll worry.  It was kind of shocking to see all those K’s last week, I’ll admit.  

Perhaps those who thought Cowser should start the year in AA should reconsider.   Hopefully, he’ll get on a roll and be there soon enough.