The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

Attendance got off to a pretty nice start on this homestand, obviously boosted by a weekend series with the Yankees, who drew over 86,000 over the weekend.   Still, even the Tuesday/Wednesday Brewers crowds were in the 11-12,000 range.   That’s much better than the O’s have done in their first weekday series of the year recently.   

2021 is not a fair comparison because crowds were restricted until June 1.   But, if you go back to 2019, the O’s had weeknight games against the A’s that ranged from 6500-8400 per game.  So, this is up from that.  The Saturday/Sunday crowds were down about 10% from a comparable April weekend series against the Yankees in 2019, but overall, pretty decent.   

The only remaining home games this month are a Friday/Saturday against the Red Sox, that should draw well.   So, attendance is off to a pretty good start.   

The schedule is pretty kind to the O’s this year from an attendance perspective, with two of the three home series with the Yankees falling on weekends (next one is in July), and all three Red Sox series falling on weekends (April/May, August and September).   Also, home games on Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day.   

As my guess/hope is that Grayson Rodriguez will make his MLB debut 14 days from now, here seems as good a place as any to ask what if any Hangouters are interested in walking up whensoever his first home start is.

I can personally attest that using the brightest lights will likely result in 2022 over 2021 attendance being increased by...oh...three or four.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Attendance got off to a pretty nice start on this homestand, obviously boosted by a weekend series with the Yankees, who drew over 86,000 over the weekend.   Still, even the Tuesday/Wednesday Brewers crowds were in the 11-12,000 range.   That’s much better than the O’s have done in their first weekday series of the year recently.   

2021 is not a fair comparison because crowds were restricted until June 1.   But, if you go back to 2019, the O’s had weeknight games against the A’s that ranged from 6500-8400 per game.  So, this is up from that.  The Saturday/Sunday crowds were down about 10% from a comparable April weekend series against the Yankees in 2019, but overall, pretty decent.   

The only remaining home games this month are a Friday/Saturday against the Red Sox, that should draw well.   So, attendance is off to a pretty good start.   

The schedule is pretty kind to the O’s this year from an attendance perspective, with two of the three home series with the Yankees falling on weekends (next one is in July), and all three Red Sox series falling on weekends (April/May, August and September).   Also, home games on Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day.   

The cheap tickets for this week were also a big help.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

But one of those weekend Red Sox series is Fri/Sat only because Sunday is at the LLWS.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Or spend $50 per person to eat.

My view is, they allow you to bring your own food.   If you choose not to, then don’t complain about the food prices.  Three of us went yesterday and brought our own water and my wife brought some snacks for herself.  I had a beer, my son and I each had a bratwurst, and we bought one bag of peanuts.   Total food and beer cost at the game was $36 plus optional tip.    Then we went home and had a good dinner.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My view is, they allow you to bring your own food.   If you choose not to, then don’t complain about the food prices.  Three of us went yesterday and brought our own water and my wife brought some snacks for herself.  I had a beer, my son and I each had a bratwurst, and we bought one bag of peanuts.   Total food and beer cost at the game was $36 plus optional tip.    Then we went home and had a good dinner.  

Is it still one water or soda or juice per person,?

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Is it still one water or soda or juice per person,?

I think so - 20 ounce maximum.  It was a chilly day, so one water and one beer were plenty for me.   I didn’t even finish my water until I was heading for the exit.  You can fill an empty bottle at the water fountain if you are so inclined.  

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It is not. Whatever you can fit in a gallon ziploc bag (including food). So no six foot party subs, but a reasonable amount of food is permitted.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think so - 20 ounce maximum.  It was a chilly day, so one water and one beer were plenty for me.   I didn’t even finish my water until I was heading for the exit.  You can fill an empty bottle at the water fountain if you are so inclined.  

I went on Saturday and I asked someone. As far as I know you can take as many drinks as you can fit in a bag. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The cheap tickets for this week were also a big help.

They should keep these prices or similar for all weekday games in April and September. Maybe even May. I know you have to protect your season ticket holders but it’s better to have 11-12K as opposed to 7k. 

32 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I will need to do some geometry but a large pizza in a gallon ziploc.

8 squared acute Angelos ÷ 1 gallon ziploc 

Try it!!!

Biggest issue for drinks is not being able to take a cooler to keep them cool. I guess someone could jam some ice in a ziploc.