Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

4 hours ago, owknows said:

No doubt. Signing a player at peak performance guarantees that all of their contract will be post-peak years. For some players that may be a lot worse than others... But it is true for any player signed at their zenith.

With the strategy that I'm proposing (trading the best players in early arb) you'd be more reliant on trades to restock than you would be the draft. But whether draft or trade... the front office better be damned good.

Your plan requires a degree of perfection from the front office that isn't achievable. Which is why it won't work. There's no dynasty in that path.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's why the smart move was to sign him last year.

Everyone laughed but how nice would it be to be in year two of a ten year deal right now?

There is a 36 page thread on Gunnar Henderson 2021 in which you posted a bunch of times.  It ran from March thru the end of the 2021 minor league season.  Not a SINGLE mention of a contract extension.   Not ONE.  That's ODD.  You bring it up a lot now but all last season in a thread devoted entirely to Henderson,  it never occurred to you?  Hmmmm.    When did this happen?   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

There is a 36 page thread on Gunnar Henderson 2021 in which you posted a bunch of times.  It ran from March thru the end of the 2021 minor league season.  Not a SINGLE mention of a contract extension.   Not ONE.  That's ODD.  You bring it up a lot now but all last season in a thread devoted entirely to Henderson,  it never occurred to you?  Hmmmm.    When did this happen?   

Wow.

You actually spent that much time on it?

I have no idea where I said it.  Threads get derailed all of the time and I am often to blame.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow.

You actually spent that much time on it?

I have no idea where I said it.  Threads get derailed all of the time and I am often to blame.

Happy Sunday.  One would think it would have come up in the Gunnar Henderson 2021 thread but that's just too logical. 

Edited by RZNJ

For what it’s worth, I definitely recall C_o_C suggesting a ten-year extension for Henderson early last year. It was part of a discussion on how the Orioles, as an organization without unlimited funds competing in a stacked division against teams with much deeper pockets and more willingness to spend, might seek to be innovative with their player development and long-term roster construction. I doubt I posted anything in response, because I’m just an occasional poster here, but I privately thought it was an interesting idea. What I didn’t agree with, also privately, was the idea of bringing up a 19-year-old Henderson, whom I had always liked but who had barely played above A-ball and who had not exactly been lighting the low minors on fire to that point, to learn and develop at the major-league level. It seemed like a bit too great a risk to take with a player with so much potential, at least for my taste. But it was an interesting proposal.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Happy Sunday.  One would think it would have come up in the Gunnar Henderson 2021 thread but that's just too logical. 

He did say it.  I remember.  No dollar figures though.   What I don’t remember is whether he was singling out Gunnar or using him as an example to argue that if we signed guys to long term deals early we wouldn’t need to hold them back in the minors as long.  

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1). You need a new hobby
2). He 100% said we should give Henderson a 10 year deal.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He did say it.  I remember.  No dollar figures though.   What I don’t remember is whether he was singling out Gunnar or using him as an example to argue that if we signed guys to long term deals early we wouldn’t need to hold them back in the minors as long.  

Start with this post.  Or you can look a little before and after.  Not sure if this was the first time, but it was one time. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't doubt that he has suggested locking players up long term.  I question whether he singled out Henderson as THAT player.  Did he suggest we lock up Mayo?  Tony had Mayo ranked ahead of Henderson at the end of last year.

This idea that he alone mentioned we should lock up Henderson and no one else was on board with it is a bit much to digest.

37 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If we give Henderson a Wander Franco deal does he sign it?  Boras has never signed a pre-arb deal as far as I know.  He's not going to give us much of a discount. 

Definitely some savings in that deal.  It look like he is making 25M for his arb years.

First FA year is 22M and the rest are 25M.  If he’s an elite talent, that’s cheap.  If he’s Jurickson Profar, it’s a horrible contract.

Would Gunnar sign that deal?  I tend to doubt it.  I think signing an 8-9 year deal makes more sense.

Something like you pay him roughly $40M for the first 6 years and then sign him for 22-28M a year for 2-3 years of FA.  

I would probably offer him and Adley identical 8/120 type deals.  Adley will have one more year of service time on his deal (ie one more year of FA)…but something in that area for each.

Still makes Henderson a FA around 29/30 years old.  I think that’s an easier sell to Boras than a 10-15 year deal would be.