Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

I did not realize how talented Henderson is. I know that sounds really dumb given how much has been posted about him on OH, his great season this year, and his rapid rise in the national rankings. But I did not realize how athletic he is, how fast he is…especially for such a big guy. He’s just way more athletic than I expected. I hate these cliches, but he does have the look. Henderson should be incredibly fun to watch next year. 

Edited by Ohfan67

36 minutes ago, Getz said:

Where did you see that?

Saw it when I was doing a deep dive on his draft videos.  Some interviews he did.  I think even on his introduction video with Elias announcing his signing Elias mentioned his brother being a major Oriole fan.  But if you look at other videos from three years ago with Gunnar he tells more about the story and he says that the night before the draft his brother came down the stairs and told them all the Orioles were going to draft him.   Apparently his brother was a huge fan of Manny Machado and followed the Orioles and even had Oriole pajamas.  Its a good story.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I did not realize how talented Henderson is. I know that sounds really dumb given how much has been posted about him on OH, his great season this year, and his rapid rise in the national rankings. But I did not realize how athletic he is, how fast he is…especially for such a big guy. He’s just way more athletic than I expected. I hate these cliches, but he does have the look. Henderson should be incredibly fun to watch next year. 

I think his meteoric rise in the prospect rankings were a lot of scouts seeing him play and shaking their heads.  Their opinions tricked back to us Oriole fans but it was kind of hard to believe not seeing him ourselves.  How could he shoot up the rating so fast?  Is it legit?

It seems the scouts were right.   This kid really checks all the boxes.   He might be a star for a long long time. 

2 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I think his meteoric rise in the prospect rankings were a lot of scouts seeing him play and shaking their heads.  Their opinions tricked back to us Oriole fans but it was kind of hard to believe not seeing him ourselves.  How could he shoot up the rating so fast?  Is it legit?

It seems the scouts were right.   This kid really checks all the boxes.   He might be a star for a long long time. 

Part of the reason Os fans don't want to believe is because we've been disappointed so many times.  We got Adley already, but he was pretty polished when he was drafted.  Before that the last player to live up to his hype was Machado.  Before that?  I'm not even sure.

Based on how many prospects have suddenly done better than expected after Elias reworked the player development infrastructure, and all the smoke about how terrible the player development system was before, I'm inclined to think it wasn't just bad luck that caused all our prospects to flame out.

Edited by Hallas