Keith Law notes on Aberdeen players

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Does anyone really buy that Keith Law can scout this kind of stuff accurately? I really do not. He's a baseball writer. He could say literally anything about a guy's swing and no one is going to challenge it. We'll just kind of nod along. He can just say whatever because 99% of the people who read him are not baseball scouts. 

Law is certainly more qualified than anyone you read or listen to locally. None of them are on his level.  Maybe Tony, who has done pro scouting, is but I don’t think anyone else is...at least not to the point where you take their opinion more seriously than Law’s opinion.

• Outfielder John Rhodes was Baltimore’s third-round pick in 2021 after a disappointing spring at the University of Kentucky, where he hit just .251/.397/.508

How is having a .397 OBP and .905 OPS disappointing.  I realize quite a few college hitters have over a 1.000 OPS, but sign me up for any O's hitter having a .905 OPS, even Adley.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

• Outfielder John Rhodes was Baltimore’s third-round pick in 2021 after a disappointing spring at the University of Kentucky, where he hit just .251/.397/.508

How is having a .397 OBP and .905 OPS disappointing.  I realize quite a few college hitters have over a 1.000 OPS, but sign me up for any O's hitter having a .905 OPS, even Adley.

When you hit .426/.485/.672 in the (abbreviated due to Covid) previous season.

42 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Hitting .251 in college is a pretty major red flag when it comes to the hit tool. 

I respect Keith Law's opinion.  He's very knowledgeable but he makes conclusions which often turn out to be not so.    I think he said Sisco would never be a catcher and you can make all of the snide remarks you want but Sisco could have stuck in the majors as a catcher if he would have hit.    He also wasn't very high on Grayson Rodriguez as I recall.   He's knowledgeable but he's certainly not infallible.   He does throw a little bit of rain on the John Rhodes parade but maybe 6th best bat speed on Aberdeen isn't as much a criticism of Rhodes as much as a statement on the rest of the roster.   Norby, Prieto, Cowser, Mayo.   It probably doesn't necesarily mean you have below average bat speed if those guys are rated higher.

6 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Hitting .251 in college is a pretty major red flag when it comes to the hit tool. 

It certainly is so kudos to the evaluators who were not scared off by the  .251 average and "in your face" to those who had the snide remarks about it on draft day.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He was a scout with Toronto before he was a baseball writer.   Whether he was a good scout is anyone’s guess.  

Believe he was also one of the BP founding fathers and a writer for them before he got the Toronto peek behind the curtain.    Joe Sheehan-Christina Kahrl-Nate Silver-Clay Davenport-Keith Law are kind of in my mind the BP founding generation.

29 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Believe he was also one of the BP founding fathers and a writer for them before he got the Toronto peek behind the curtain.    Joe Sheehan-Christina Kahrl-Nate Silver-Clay Davenport-Keith Law are kind of in my mind the BP founding generation.

You are right, he was at BP before a 4-year stint with the Blue Jays.   My point is the same — he does have scouting experience so he has at least some qualifications to evaluate a prospect.   As I said, who knows if he was any good at it.  

One thing about eye witness scouting is it’s only as good as the player is that night.

The entire point of the minors is player development. Doesn’t make live views wrong. It just means there’s likely more to the story, good or bad, for just about everyone.

I’m not a scout, but I feel like I’d need many impressions on players before drawing good conclusions.

• Upvote 1