ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

Most of us agree with your comments. When Teixeira signs others will follow. Most players in MLB are tired of the Yankees and Red Sox. That's why a lot of people were happy the Rays and to a lesser extent the Phillies made it to the end this year. The Orioles becoming a playoff caliber team again is good for baseball. To knock off a team with a $200 million plus payroll and a $130 million + payroll when yours is under $85 million is impressive. It can be done. Look at the Marlins. I think the deal will get done soon but the Buy Out clause could be a problem. If it's included I would like it to be after 5 years not 3.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I discredit them because they don't have a fan base and have no talent to build around Teixeira. Why are they willing to give so much to him, but weren't willing to shell out money for their first round draft pick Aaron Crow who they eventually lost. But you make a good point.

What did the Nationals lose by not signing Crow? The teams have the leverage and that is what players being drafted need to understand. You have proven nothing as a 1st round talent, except that you are talented. For every All_Star drafted in the first round there is one drafted after the 7th. The Nationals now get the #1 over pick and the #10 overall pick. So let's say they draft Strasburg #1 and Tyler Matzek #10. What did they really lose? Not a good argument.

Can the common fan name 2 Washington Nationals players? I can, but I think Nick Johnson and Ryan Zimmerman are solid players. They need a face more than we do. They need someone that can go on their posters and season tickets. They need a player that someone outside of Washington recognizes. Baseball is a tricky business to understand at times. GM's are good at what they do because they do not fall in love with the idea of one player. They look at the big picture before making a decision. Fans can not do that; our judgement is skewed by a passion that borders on insanity. I mean really, its 2:00 a.m. in the East, but we are talking about a player who is as likely to be a Red Sock as he is an Oriole!

I'm not blindly writing off the Nats, I just really don't see it. He wouldn't be the same hometown hero" he would be in Baltimore.

I don't think it's necessarily that. What if he's not really sold on being the "hometown hero" angle, he just wants to be close to home? What if he prefers the NL and thinks the Nats play in a weaker division and could build a winner faster than the O's?

I completely disagree. MOst can agree that the ONLY reason he is considering the Orioles is because he grew up loving the Orioles and idolizing Cal Ripken. EVERY player of his caliber has the money offers and the chance to go to a winner. I am not trying to smash or disrespect the Nats either when I say that. Call it a hunch or an inference based on what I've heard and read- but I just don't see him seriously considering the Nats.

At this point, I should use the "hometown" angle slightly- because I really think it's more about his "hometown team" than "hometown." If this was simply about the money- which clearly is pretty much the only angle Washington has a chance to edge out Baltimore or Boston- then why is it still going? Tex wants to maximize his money (the Nats help up the price)- and preferably play "home" for the Birds, or for a winner, in the Red Sox.

I'm not blindly writing off the Nats, I just really don't see it. He wouldn't be the same hometown hero" he would be in Baltimore.

If the Royals offered $300 Million over 10 years, would Boras and Teixeira consider the offer? I think most of us could agree on that. The guy hired Boras when any agent worth their salt could have got that guy $150 Million over 7 or 8 years. The money is a factor. Your argument discrediting the Nationals could be used to discredit the Orioles.

I don't think it's necessarily that. What if he's not really sold on being the "hometown hero" angle, he just wants to be close to home? What if he prefers the NL and thinks the Nats play in a weaker division and could build a winner faster than the O's?

I see your point, and it's valid. I guess I tend to rationalize things through my own perspective. I think we all tend to do thatt o a degree, hence to differing opinions.

I just really get the sense that he has Oriole pride deep down. Money, wins, the NL, none of that can bring what the Orioles can offer.

I know Adam Loewen's career has started over and is somewhat of along shot to reach the majors now- but did you see how quick he was to jump ship for the chance to play with his hometown team. That's just one person- with different abilities obviously... but it just goes to show that everyone is wired differently.

So while you could be right in that the hometown angle isn't as important to him as we may think or WANT it to be- something tells me it just is... either way, we should be finding out soon enough.

If the Royals offered $300 Million over 10 years, would Boras and Teixeira consider the offer? I think most of us could agree on that. The guy hired Boras when any agent worth their salt could have got that guy $150 Million over 7 or 8 years. The money is a factor. Your argument discrediting the Nationals could be used to discredit the Orioles.

Wow- so I guess anyone can just throw out the $300 million offer to make a point about anything now?? Can we stay within reasonable market value- and what any rational mind would pay right now. NOONE is going to pay that much- and if they DID offer it, then YES, of course he'd consider it!

So let me ask you this... let's assume you have a place you'd love to live- it could be your hometown, your college town, your vacation town.. wherever... now let's assume THAT TOWN is baltimore to Tex- which is what I'm basing my points on....

Now- let's say you had a crystal ball that said, okay- you can go to we'll say, MILWAUKEE, win the lottery for $300 million, but you can't move anywhere for 10 years. Or you could win the lottery for $200 million and live WHEREVER you want to live- your dream setting.

You telling me you're really gonna take your family and live somewhere you really don't want for all that extra money- or at the very least you'd make that decision in a heartbeat??

I know money seems like EVERYTHING to those of us who don't have much of it, but come on man- it IS NOT everything. At some point, enough is enough.

Aside from that- as I keep saying, it's just my gut feeling and opinion.

The question for me is what are we expecting Teixeira to represent? Markakis and Roberts are good team players and either would be good choices to be the face of the Orioles. Markakis would be a better choice due to his youth. Teixeira is from Maryland AND is a likely All-Star for the next 5+ years.

The Orioles need Teixeira to prove to other players that we can land the top guy. If we lose Mark (Who has ties to this team) to a team like Boston, it gives free agents, media outlets, and other organizations another opportunity to laugh at us. No team has fallen from greatness more than the Orioles. The 1966-1983 Orioles were a model franchise. From 1966-1971 there wasn't a better team in the game. We may not have many Hall of Famers, but our group is stronger than most. We need to be relevant again and if that means bidding on a guy like Teixeira than so be it. I would rather the Orioles give $23 Million per to Mark than $18-$20 Million for the next yahoo who signs here because the money is good.

There is a lot to be said for this. I and my family have only gone to the Hall of Fame 2 times and both times have been for Orioles inductees (Murray and Ripken). I would love to have Palmiero and Mussina inducted as Orioles. I would love to have a player playing for us that I could expect/hope would be inducted further out. Get Tex if we can get him and not endanger the franchise!

I see your point, and it's valid. I guess I tend to rationalize things through my own perspective. I think we all tend to do thatt o a degree, hence to differing opinions.

I just really get the sense that he has Oriole pride deep down. Money, wins, the NL, none of that can bring what the Orioles can offer.

I know Adam Loewen's career has started over and is somewhat of along shot to reach the majors now- but did you see how quick he was to jump ship for the chance to play with his hometown team. That's just one person- with different abilities obviously... but it just goes to show that everyone is wired differently.

So while you could be right in that the hometown angle isn't as important to him as we may think or WANT it to be- something tells me it just is... either way, we should be finding out soon enough.

I hear ya man, I was just playing devil's advocate :vader: ;)

It's going to happen. Throughout all the negotiations, I think we have been discrediting Mark. My brother graduated with him, and there is a reason why he went into the tower at a reunion recently and looked for his signature. I think Ryanadams420 could back me up on the meaning of the tower at MSJ's. He also told me Mark video taped a message that was played for his reunion class.

Baltimore needs Mark, and I think he knows it.

It's going to happen. Throughout all the negotiations, I think we have been discrediting Mark. My brother graduated with him, and there is a reason why he went into the tower at a reunion recently and looked for his signature. I think Ryanadams420 could back me up on the meaning of the tower at MSJ's. He also told me Mark video taped a message that was played for his reunion class.

He seems like a good guy. I heard about him giving money to start a scholarship in the name of a friend who had passed away. He is a terrific baseball player also. Any team would be lucky to have him. I hope he decides to play for the home team, but unfortunately actions speak louder than words.

What is the tower at MSJ's and why was it such a big issue when he looked for his signature?

That's a pretty cool post. So he does have that sentimental side that we all want to hear about.

Of course, with that said- whenever I visit Baltimore, I do the same stuff- visiting my old stomping grounds, and any place I carved in my name to a tree or cement- and I have no intentions of moving back anytime soon... although a $200 million offer might change all that! :) (Heck, I'm not greedy, $1 million would be enough) :)

Can the common fan name 2 Washington Nationals players? I can, but I think Nick Johnson and Ryan Zimmerman are solid players. They need a face more than we do. They need someone that can go on their posters and season tickets. They need a player that someone outside of Washington recognizes. Baseball is a tricky business to understand at times. GM's are good at what they do because they do not fall in love with the idea of one player. They look at the big picture before making a decision. Fans can not do that; our judgement is skewed by a passion that borders on insanity. I mean really, its 2:00 a.m. in the East, but we are talking about a player who is as likely to be a Red Sock as he is an Oriole!

After Zimmerman, the Nats two most well known players are Dmitri Young and Nick Johnson...two first basemen. Just sayin'. Unless you count the guy that served up Bonds' 756th and their resident wife beater, Elijah Dukes.

Archived