How close are Grayson and Bradish to a call up?

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

If I have a cookout and provide alcohol at said cookout and you decide to drink more than your body can handle and you go home (by Uber or Lyft) and we’re to have alcohol poisoning or throw up in your sleep on your back and choke to death should I be charged for your death? 

Just because someone offers something we all have the responsibility of taking it on our own. It’s sad to see someone that young go but the cruel thing about life is sometimes it’s our own fault. 

In the bartender example I explicitly said they would not be legally responsible. The question was whether they "contributed" which I took to include indirect contribution.

In this example, I think you did everything you reasonable could to ensure the person got home safely so I do not think you should be charged, not do I think you even contributed. 

Going back to Matt Harvey, I don't think it's unfair to say he contributed to the player's death even if his contribution was not up to the threshold of legal responsibility. If you think he had absolutely nothing to do with the player's death then we can agree to disagree.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not to me.

Unless of course he was misrepresenting what he was handing out.

Have you not had a friend/family member offer you prescription drugs?

I had it happen last night.  Wasn't anything as potentially dangerous as a painkiller but still.

They focused on the one employee because they needed a scapegoat.

Anyway probably best to end my participation in this topic before we start violating board rules.

I have had friends, family and co-workers offer me  prescription meds and I'm from sort of a squeaky clean environment (not so much me).  I'm not a legal expert, but I'm pretty sure, "everyone else was doing it" doesn't fly in court.  Plus, this was oxycodone (and probably other drugs) that are schedule 2 drugs, which is a felony to possess w/o a prescription.  Not the same as someone giving you a blood pressure pill. 

That's my final statement.  I just believe Harvey deserved some punishment other than "feeling bad". 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Time to call-up Bradish.  

Not on Elias-time it isn't. I'm guessing that, like many of us, you're a prisoner of the old-fashioned idea that a major-league team should acquire and use the players in the organization that will make the ML team as strong as possible. That's not how Elias operates. A lot of Oriole fans seem to think that's just fine. I don't.

31 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Not on Elias-time it isn't. I'm guessing that, like many of us, you're a prisoner of the old-fashioned idea that a major-league team should acquire and use the players in the organization that will make the ML team as strong as possible. That's not how Elias operates. A lot of Oriole fans seem to think that's just fine. I don't.

I think that you intentionally misstate Elias's intentions.  Elias is acquiring players that can make the ML team as strong as possible.  He just doesn't want them to play at the major league level like CJ Abrams or Bobby Witt Jr. when they're first promoted.  And, he wants them to help over the long term, not in April 2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don’t remember you being so jaded. Sorry to see that.

Elias has a plan, and a strong conviction to stick to it. Only time will tell, and it does seem to take a lot of time, absolutely. No 2020 minor league season, and really limited opportunities to work on their game overall, certainly hurt every prospect. He is being understandably cautious, I think. All teams have injuries, but he is trying to mitigate them somewhat. 

For example, look at all of the college pitchers who have been sidelined with major injuries this year. Most of them were in high round consideration. The theory is that they carried too much of a load, too quickly. Most are TJ surgeries. Yikes.

I think he could have promoted Adley in July/August last year, but decided to wait. And I thought Bradish should have made the team in camp, but I understand being cautious with him. I also realize we do not have all of the information they do when considering the health of these guys. I would also point out the very aggressive promotions of Stowers, Westburg and Henderson in 2021. These fly directly in the face of all of the criticism Elias gets for being “too conservative.”

He truly espouses the nature of player development. I find no fault in that, but I can understand your frustration. Hang in there. By the end of the year, we should have Adley, Grayson, DL, Stowers and Bradish up in the show. I am hoping Westburg, Vavra, Nevin, Neustrom, and a few others make it up this year as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that you intentionally misstate Elias's intentions.  Elias is acquiring players that can make the ML team as strong as possible.  He just doesn't want them to play at the major league level like CJ Abrams or Bobby Witt Jr. when they're first promoted.  And, he wants them to help over the long term, not in April 2022.

There's no guarantees that keeping players in the minors for extended periods will change the outcome either. There's always going to be an adjustment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

There's no guarantees that keeping players in the minors for extended periods will change the outcome either. There's always going to be an adjustment.

I don't disagree.  Just saying that Elias plan for promotions is not unreasonable given players experience, performance, and current CBA rules (which the players agreed to).

• Upvote 1