The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are wrong about the Revenue impact and competing with the Red Sox. Yes their revenue iis a lot higher but its not just about reveue its also about cost. The important thing is income=revenue-cost. Our costs are very low, our income is right at the top, we are more than competitive. Unfortunately this income is not for winning but going into Angelos pockets.

Just a hunch, but IMO the news about us being out of the Tex sweepstakes is made to make other teams believe we're out. In reality we're very much involved. I know im not the first to say and am not an insider with credible sources but at the end of the day my feeling is strong about landing the first base stud.

Sounds like 7/150 is the most the O's "wow offer" could have been. I wouldn't have called it a wow offer, but it's a good start.

My take fwiw - it's down to Boston and Baltimore, but I can't shake the feeling that Baltimore is being used, and the decision was made to go to Boston unless Baltimore blows away Boston's offer - which won't likely happen.

Despite his franchise's stumbling badly on the diamond for years, Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos is guaranteed a minimum yearly gross of $130 million

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_Baltimore-Orioles_336064.html

Seems like it shouldn't be an issue signing Teixeira and locking up Markakis/Roberts, the money is there to be competitive.

I wouldn't sign Tex for more than 6 years. I wouldn't sign any 28 year old for more than 6 years for that kind of money. Let him go...we can still finish in last place without him and all of you fans will keep coming back.

Not me, bro. I work hard for my money. If Millar is our everyday 1B next season, I'll vote with my wallet.

If there is an 8 yr deal by the Nats and RSox, why don't we just offer up an 8 yr/170 million dollars and be done with it? My guess is that AM/PA are waiting for the last ditch efforts by both the Nats and RSox and then make their final offer. Only they know.:confused:

Sounds like 7/150 is the most the O's "wow offer" could have been. I wouldn't have called it a wow offer, but it's a good start.

My take fwiw - it's down to Boston and Baltimore, but I can't shake the feeling that Baltimore is being used, and the decision was made to go to Boston unless Baltimore blows away Boston's offer - which won't likely happen.

The real WOW offer is going to be the one we make to Millar. O's fans will be saying WOW for a completely different reason however.

With the way he bent over the Nats, PA has definitely set up the O's to compete with the Sox at least - if not the Yanks - in revenue/payroll.

Besides, Sox to Yanks is the biggest percentage difference in payroll between the top two teams of any division in baseball. Which goes to show you dont have to match the Sox, just max out revenues and be smart about player development...

...oh, and not give out any huge megadeals to corner players when youre not ready to compete :wedge:

Archived