The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Not only is this plausible, it's likely. Boras doesn't care where Teixeira goes, as long as he makes the most possible amount of money (because, obviously, it's not just Tex's pay day, it's Boras' too). And it's also possible that Boras and Tex have agreed that Baltimore is where they're going to sign, but are just attempting to cause some alarm in the Warehouse with the hopes that the O's might call with a better offer, out of pure panic. Tex said he wants to know where he's going to be by Christmas. We're still a week away.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like 7/150 is the most the O's "wow offer" could have been. I wouldn't have called it a wow offer, but it's a good start.

My take fwiw - it's down to Boston and Baltimore, but I can't shake the feeling that Baltimore is being used, and the decision was made to go to Boston unless Baltimore blows away Boston's offer - which won't likely happen.

I don't think the Nationals are out of it any more than Boston or Baltimore are out of it. I just keep thinking, it ain't that far to Severna Park and they visit Atlanta more frequently than we do.

You made some very good points - but on this one I disagree. If ad revenue were a concern Im pretty sure he could do better in LA. Its a much bigger market.

If he gives a hometown discount it will be because he loves the area and wants to play near all his friends & family, IMO.

Well, I'm more or less debating him coming here or to Boston- where he'd be just another star. And while you may be right in terms of market coverage and LA being a bigger market, I'm not really sure he'd be viewed in quite the same manner as he would in his true hometown.

With Vlad aging though, the Angels could use a new face to the franchise- so you could be right... I just really think his point of wanting to be close to home is one of the bargaining points that's actually true.

I have no idea if Texeira cares about this or not but if he plays out his career here he will absolutely own this city. There really are some things money can't buy.

If it works out... I have a feeling a lot of people thought the same thing about Griffey when he signed w/the Reds.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_Baltimore-Orioles_336064.html

Seems like it shouldn't be an issue signing Teixeira and locking up Markakis/Roberts, the money is there to be competitive.[/Q]

Angelos is in his 80's and he makes money beyond anything he could ever need. He is borderline obsessed with signing Tex and he's probably not going to get another shot at it. This could be his last chance to leave a good legacy behind.

Or maybe the legacy is that he managed a "losing" business that still put $130MM/yr in his pocket.

In the end, he's a litigator.

Why in the world would they spend 200 million on a guy who doesnt match up with all the other guys' primes? If he was a bargain signing - taking a hometown discount or something - sure, then that would make some sense. It makes a ton more sense to wait and go after a stud free agent that will be in his prime when the other guys will.

Just be honest with yourself and admit you want Tex even though it doesnt make the most baseball sense. That's a legit reason. I dont understand why people keep trying to defend signing Tex as some sort of genius baseball decision. There is nothing about the guy that fits well on this team other than the fact he's a Maryland native. Ask yourself this: If Tex was from San Diego would there be any reason to go nuts and bid 200 million on him? EVEN IF the O's needed a 1B would there be any reason to be so determined to be the high bidder?

Tex is a win now move all the way. His overpaid decline coincides with when this team should really be poised to make a run. Even if you see a rosy decline period there is still no reason why he should be such a huge priority. People are just all worked up to see the O's mentioned with a big name free agent prize, IMO.

I'm going to go back to agreeing with you. The only reasonable argument in favor is future scarcity - i.e., no talent when we'll be needing to purchase it. But:

1.) I don't think that's a safe assumption because ML-ready talent at first base isn't that hard to come by;

2.) it fails to take into account the peripheral problem of the opt-out: if there's an opt-out, even the slightest delay in our progression creates huge costs and no gain;

3.) we'd be saving so much money in the two down years of non-competing that when we apply it at the point of our competitiveness, we could really score some talent.

I will disagree with you, however, that this is - exclusively - a win-now move. I think we could easily compete with a team based on youth and a .825-.850 OPS Teix (playing good defense) at first.

I've got not problem with that version of him on the backside of the contract.

The real problem is just how much money we're wagering ($110m?) that we'll compete within the first five years of his contract.

That's a very philosophical question. Who are you Southernbird?

And what kind of statement are you trying to make?

Lol, well after reading his comments, I honestly couldn't tell if he was talking down to "us" O's fans- or empathizing... He kind of switched tones mid sentence...

Archived