Key to this season: avoid long losing streaks

Frobby

I feel like the O's are due for a losing streak.  I believe the longest this year has been 6.  As I believe Frobby pointed out in a thread, the O's had 3 massive losing streaks/stretches last year.   I believe over a 15 game "bad" stretch, this year's bullpen would likely pull out a game or two.  The O's really have no "starter stopper".  I'm just happy when we get 5 innings from a starter and are still in the game.  Will be interesting to see if the O's can avoid a terrible stretch of 10 or more games.

• 3 weeks later...

Game 75 marked the end of the Orioles’ second long losing skid of 2021, during which they lost 14 of 15 games to fall to 23-52.   During that same 15-game stretch this year, the O’s went 10-5, raising their record to 35-40 (12 wins better than last year at this time) and picking up 9 games on last year’s team over that 15-game stretch.   

Games 76-105 last year were a hidden stretch of very decent baseball, during which the O’s went 15-15.   There’s a good chance that the 2022 team could lose some ground to the 2021 team over the next 30 games, but we’ll see.

We are 23-17 in games following a loss.  So we perform significantly better if we lost the game before.  

Just small sample size coincidence, or does it represent some ability to put losses behind us mentally?  It is either the reason for, or the by-product if, the fact that we haven't had many significant losing steaks this season.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

We are 23-17 in games following a loss.  So we perform significantly better if we lost the game before.  

Just small sample size coincidence, or does it represent some ability to put losses behind us mentally?  It is either the reason for, or the by-product if, the fact that we haven't had many significant losing steaks this season.

O's have won Wells' last six starts and 8 of his last 10. He's a big part of it.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, Aristotelian said:

Last night's win was the second time in a row Tyler Wells has been the "stopper" of a two game losing streak (6/11 and 6/4).

Other stoppers:

Zimmerman (4/11, 5/19)

Lyles (4/15, 4/20)

Watkins (4/30)

Bradish (5/4) 

Another stopper win for Tyler Wells

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I was worried about the consequences of another loss today.   Glad to stop the streak before it turned into much.  

Gutsy performance after two heartbreaking losses.  Says a lot about the team.  If I were on a playoff contender with Os on my calendar I wouldn’t get too excited.  These guys come out to play every night and expect to win.  

• Like 2