Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

While Baltimore is a football town, I really believe the baseball town is just waiting to be resurrected. Teixeira and a few wins would sure do it.

I love the Ravens, and am a season ticket holder, but honestly, are OTAs really that exciting? :)

I'm with ya! I'd say at this point I'd rather have a winning baseball team over football. Just because people forget how fun the stretch run can be. And I hope that we can stop some of this you can't be an O's fan and a Ravens fan stuff that has cropped up over the past few years. I'll never understand that, ever.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

replying from a Nats standpoint:

When you have the ability to add difference making talent, in the prime years of their career… you do not stop, when you can do what is necessary to obtain them.

absolutely correct.

The O's should follow the model of improved scouting, and player development that Tampa has… but there is no reason the O's have to spend like they have the limited finanances the Rays do.

again, absolutely correct. this is what the Nats have been doing since the Lerners bought the team. it's lead to the "Lerners are Cheap" movement, but it's beginning to pay dividends, slowly but surely.

I guess, yeah. But I mean, he's been pessimistic since day 1 of the offseason about this, and we get some good news and he gets even more pessimistic. I dunno, it's annoying, really. "I'm sick of Mark Teixiera". Ok, well when he signs, you can stay at home instead of come to the ballpark and cheer him.

Well, I can't blame him for being sick of him, I'm sick of him too, and it's not my job to stay abreast of the situation.

I guess, yeah. But I mean, he's been pessimistic since day 1 of the offseason about this, and we get some good news and he gets even more pessimistic. I dunno, it's annoying, really. "I'm sick of Mark Teixiera". Ok, well when he signs, you can stay at home instead of come to the ballpark and cheer him.

I agree with that. I love reading Roch's stuff but lately... he isn't just tempering expectations anymore, he's just being cranky. Of course, he probably is getting 2,000 emails a day asking him for news and then no one at the Warehouse will talk to him. It's not a comfortable situation to be in. We O's fans are pretty rabid about this signing.

I am not sure what you want him to say.

He has been a responsible journalist thru this whole thing. He has not been like the Espn crew who have printed everything they heard thru this whole thing.

And what was the good news? That the redsox pulled out? I see thru that as a bluff by Henry. I do not believe they are out of it.

NOBODY in the media has said we are front runners for Tex, most of them have us as the third or fourth option.

So you want Roch to just type news you want to hear, even though there is no proof of it anywhere.

I guess I feel like he has the power to be the "voice" of the fans, and he doesn't use it. More often than not, he goes against the average fan. Just MO.

He's not writing the "School of the Fans". He's writing the "School of Roch". The closest you're going to get to the former is here...and we seriously skew the fandom curve for this team.

Is anyone really going to argue that 1 more year, and $4.3M more per-season is going to financially limit the team?

It's a lot more than 1 more year and $4.3m per season considering how much they've already extended themselves with their offer

It's been kind of interesting watch this situation play out... And I'm not saying you specifically as I do not remember what you were saying in the past. A couple of months ago there seemed to be a lot of people who thought it was a bad idea to go more than 5 or 6 years and had a maximum that they would not go over that was significantly less than the bidding is now. Throughout the process I've seen it said countless times that we shouldn't let an extra year or a couple of million prevent us from signing Teix... That extra year and a couple extra million has now climbed to a 50 or 60m premium over the pricetag many thought it made sense to walk away at a couple of months ago. It's amazing how much better Teix has gotten during that time. ;)

Archived