Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

Belky any chance we do a 3 for 1:

Tex (Best 1st baseman for the O's since Raffy.)

Lowe (Steady innings eater for 4 years 12 per.)

Veritek (Leader and perfect person to teach Weiters the way to handle a staff and call a game. Say 2 for 16 with the understanding he is a backup/mentor after the allstar break?)

I know this is crazy but I am just so damn giddy right now that my mind is acting all kind of weird!!

Boras and Varitek would not sign here for the role that the O's are willing to give him. He is still seeking a starting gig and starter money.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's more than the big 3. We have 15 or so starters that could, maybe develop into serviceable or even above average ML starters. That's why you stockpile pitching. It's unpredictable and nobody knows whats going to happen. Matusz could bust and Tillman could turn into Tom Seaver. You never know, but pitching is even unpredictable from year to year so you keep a ton of them and push the odds in your favor.

I understand there are more than the big three, but if we cant develop Matusz, Tillman, and Arrieta what makes you think we can develop an Erbe or a Spoone?

I'm thinking he ends up with the Nat's. The lerner's have more money than almost every owner in baseball combined - so to say signing Tex would cripple them is absurd. They could easily buy a bunch of FA's to jump start the team. Their farm system now is adequate enough to keep the ball rolling. They need fans badly, this could be just what the doctor ordered.

I understand there are more than the big three, but if we cant develop Matusz, Tillman, and Arrieta what makes you think we can develop an Erbe or a Spoone?

Well, Matt Riley was supposed to be the can't miss prospect in baseball, but we still managed to develop an Erik Bedard. The higher end prospect not panning out has nothing to do with any other prospect. You stockpile young arms and hope some stick, that is the MacPhail philosophy.

Believe me I don't think what I put out would happen but it would be freakin cool right:)

I don't want to get off of the Tex topic, but I'd rather have Zaun here for that role. I am honestly not a fan of Varitek. Not just because he has been on the Red Sox, either. I just think he's been a little overrated. That's my opinion, though.

The problem with this theory is that on no other team except the Orioles does Tex have the opportunity to be an instant legend in Orioles history. He will be a hero, plain and simple. He'd be the face of the franchise on either the Nats or the O's, true, but only with the Orioles will he be an instant legend.

He could start his own legacy in DC, not be in the shadows of Cal, Eddie Frank, Brooks, etc

I don't think the problem is system development anymore with this team. I no longer feel that the organization is hurting their own prospects. It's not solely a matter of development, it's more a roll of the dice.

The problem with this theory is that on no other team except the Orioles does Tex have the opportunity to be an instant legend in Orioles history. He will be a hero, plain and simple. He'd be the face of the franchise on either the Nats or the O's, true, but only with the Orioles will he be an instant legend.

That seems to paint a pretty bleak picture of Orioles history. It would take a HoF career for him to even join the likes of Cal, Brooks, Eddie, Jim, Earl and Frank. He'll be part of the team that helps bring us back to prominence, but legend is a little too far.

You don't think being the player that started a winning tradition in Washington would go down as legendary (that is if he went to the nats and had success). He could be their first HOFer...

Archived