Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Are the Orioles just waiting until the highest bid is in to beat it so that they don't bid against themselves?

People are clinging to this, but the most likely iteration of this "concept" (and I'll use this term loosely since the entire premise seems like b.s. to me) will be that the O's will get the same chance that everyone else involved is getting, and have been getting, for weeks.

Boras will come around and say "I have $170M, do you want to raise your offer?" and some team will raise it to $175M. And this will go on and on because it's the way he slowly drives up the price. In doing so, every team will get the chance to beat the top price, including the O's. It's an auction house methodology that allows every team the chance to top the high bid.

People are seriously misunderstanding the role of the agent as an advocate for his client if you think that Boras will come to the O's in the next few days any differently than he has been for the past few weeks. Every bid for the last few weeks has felt like "the last offer" because it's the perfect strategy to increase the overall package. If AM is counting on Boras coming to them and saying "ok, I was just negotiating before, but this time I'm being honest, this is the real final bid, this is what you need to beat" then they're setting up for failure. All Boras has to do is say "hey, we came to you and said do you want to beat $190M and you said no" for this strategy to completely backfire......

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's fine if the total payroll is highe enough. We're at a huge disadvantage compared to our division mates and need to get the best bang for the buck as possible. Say it's 4 years from now and our players have developed and we have a strong core. Wieters, Jones, Arietta, and Markakis are going to be making a lot of money either through an extension or hefty arbitration figures... Can we handle all of that and Teix and have the resources to go out and add a FA or two who might be the final pieces? If the payroll has been jacked up to support it, great, we have no major issues. I'm just skeptical that we will be able to go high enough. It just seems unlikely that we can do that even if we increase attendance.

You made the same argument against the Tigers when they took chances and "overspent" on FA's.

Guess what? The franchise wasn't "crippled" and the sky didn't fall. AS a matter of fact, not only are they able to retain their own talent, they managed to accrue more talent, a lot more. They drafted one of the drafts most "unsignable" players (porcello) and spent a boatload (both in terms of young talent and money) in acquiring one of the game's best young players when they traded for MCab. Proactive and bold doesn't automatically mean disaster or "crippled" for a franchise

Success creates revenue. Success creates opportunity. see Tigers, Detroit

People are seriously misunderstanding the role of the agent as an advocate for his client if you think that Boras will come to the O's in the next few days any differently than he has been for the past few weeks. Every bid for the last few weeks has felt like "the last offer" because it's the perfect strategy to increase the overall package. If AM is counting on Boras coming to them and saying "ok, I was just negotiating before, but this time I'm being honest, this is the real final bid, this is what you need to beat" then they're setting up for failure. All Boras has to do is say "hey, we came to you and said do you want to beat $190M and you said no" for this strategy to completely backfire......

But you are assuming that MT is going to take the highest offer where ever it comes from. I would also think an agent would not be doing his job if, after he gets the last offer before this self-imposed deadline, he didn't send an email to each team saying "this is the best offer we've gotten and my client is ready to accept it. Would you be willing to increase your last offer?" At that point a team like the O's will decide how much more they are willing to go to get in the "ballpark". Boras then goes back to Tex and says what teams, if any, increased their bid, and Tex decides which one he wants. Not necessarily the highest bid. Tex decides which deal he likes considering all factors.

You made the same argument against the Tigers when they took chances and "overspent" on FA's.

Guess what? The franchise wasn't "crippled" and the sky didn't fall. AS a matter of fact, not only are they able to retain their own talent, they managed to accrue more talent, a lot more. They drafted one of the drafts most "unsignable" players (porcello) and spent a boatload (both in terms of young talent and money) in acquiring one of the game's best young players when they traded for MCab. Proactive and bold doesn't automatically mean disaster or "crippled" for a franchise

Success creates revenue. Success creates opportunity. see Tigers, Detroit

This is true, but I would argue that we're a little farther behind the curve than they were when they spent that money.

People are clinging to this, but the most likely iteration of this "concept" (and I'll use this term loosely since the entire premise seems like b.s. to me) will be that the O's will get the same chance that everyone else involved is getting, and have been getting, for weeks.

Boras will come around and say "I have $170M, do you want to raise your offer?" and some team will raise it to $175M. And this will go on and on because it's the way he slowly drives up the price. In doing so, every team will get the chance to beat the top price, including the O's. It's an auction house methodology that allows every team the chance to top the high bid.

What's so hard to believe about this concept? I'm not saying this is exactly what's going on, but it IS possible. Remember, Boras works for Tex, not the other way around. If Tex for some reason said "we will give Baltimore the last chance to match our best offer" then that's what Boras will do.

Like I said, I'm not sold on this being the case, but I can see this happening if Tex wants it to. Maybe this is why the Orioles have "reportedly" not upped their offer. Maybe they do have an agreement with Tex and Boras that whatever the best offer is, they will have a chance to match/beat it. Maybe that's why Boras is getting the Yankees involved. He doesn't have a good/high enough offer to give to Baltimore, so he is getting desperate.

All we know is... well we know nothing.:rolleyes:

These threads have really died down, everyone must have a Teixiera hangover :puke:

Considering the fact that this is the ninth numbered Tex thread, added to Roy's thread and Tony's thread, giving us a total of eleven, I think we have run out of ways to say we know nothing more than Day One.:laughlol:

I'm really tired of the Bako stuff.. I just want them to sign him and get it over with so we can trade Wieters to the gNats for DCab and a Bradford style PTBNL.. :wedge:

Maybe we could work a three-way trade with the Nats and Tampa Bay and wind up with DCab AND Bradford

Archived