Stellar Bullpen Stats

LA2

Restricting the list to the Baseball-Reference qualifiers, the entire bullpen is in or near its prime years, six out of seven are under 3.05 ERA, five under 2.45, and four under 2.00 in 125 total appearances:

Cionel Pérez (26 yrs old) 17 games / 0.64 ERA

Keegan Akin (27) 12 / 1.23

Jorge Lopez (29) 20 / 1.23

Dillon Tate (28) 21 / 1.88

Félix Bautista (27) 19 / 2.45

Joey Krehbiel (29) 19 / 3.05

Bryan Baker (27) 17 / 5.00

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I just posted in another thread that Elias’ bargain basement pickups are doing much better this year. The bullpen is exhibit A. Elias replaced a bunch of mediocre nibblers with pitchers with much better stuff but who had struggled in the recent past. If this bullpen holds up, then I think it says a lot of positive things about the organization’s ability to identify flawed players with ability and get the most out of them. It’s the kind of thing that Tony and others criticized Elias for last season, and rightfully so for the most part. I find this very encouraging for the future. It gives me hope that they will do a good job of finding important supplemental pieces on the future. 

• Upvote 2

I still don't feel confident when Jorge comes in. Maybe I just saw too much of Bad Jorge when he was starting. I'd like to see him and Felix switch roles. Overall, the bullpen has been an absolute godsend. The high leverage guys have been terrific with the lead, and even when we've had to come from behind the second tier guys have given us a chance. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I still don't feel confident when Jorge comes in. Maybe I just saw too much of Bad Jorge when he was starting. I'd like to see him and Felix switch roles. Overall, the bullpen has been an absolute godsend. The high leverage guys have been terrific with the lead, and even when we've had to come from behind the second tier guys have given us a chance. 

He has a bit of a highwire act, for sure.  

I think the bullpen has been the biggest surprise of this season so far.  And as @Ohfan67noted, these are pretty much scrap heap guys and failed starters.  It's really awesome to see.

Hey @Can_of_cornhow about Dillon Tate?

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It could be worse for your anxiety...  we could have still have this guy coming in to close games.

Some observations from Reliever Team Stats YTD with two days of Fenway to go.   Fingers crossed one of Zimmermann or Wells can manage 15-18 outs, but maybe fair to say odds are against them too.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31

fWAR is 4th MLB-wise - that is sort of link

Innings Pitched: 2nd

GB percentage: 1st

FIP/xFIP: 14th and 12th

Leaders of the Pen-wide groundball tilt: Lopez 60, Tate 58, Akin 53, Krehbiel 53.    Getting our value out of the infield defense like the early 2010's.

• 3 months later...

Here’s some stellar bullpen stats.  The O’s have the best save percentage in the AL, at 78%.   Their 11 blown saves is the lowest in the league.  Of the 11 blown saves, the O’s only lost the game in 6 of them.  Two of the blown saves came in a July 5 game that the O’s eventually won 10-9.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s some stellar bullpen stats.  The O’s have the best save percentage in the AL, at 78%.   Their 11 blown saves is the lowest in the league.  Of the 11 blown saves, the O’s only lost the game in 6 of them.  Two of the blown saves came in a July 5 game that the O’s eventually won 10-9.  

If I had to rank the areas of the team by strength I'd guess:

1. Bullpen

2. Defense

3. Starting pitching (unbelievable)

4. Offense

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If I had to rank the areas of the team by strength I'd guess:

1. Bullpen

2. Defense

3. Starting pitching (unbelievable)

4. Offense

Unbelievably, I agree, the starting pitching may have become as consistent as the defense.