Dean Kremer 2022

Spy Fox

Kremer was meh at first, but seemed to get stronger as the game went on.  Honestly, he could have pitched six shutout innings if Martin had made a clean throw on that double play grounder from Perez.  I think it's safe to assume Hyde would have left him in for at least one or two more batters if they turned that DP.  Tough break, but overall, he looked solid.  I take him over Watkins every day of the week.

• Upvote 1

For the coming weeks, he's nearly back to the #2 starter context he held for the 2021 opening day squad.

Let's hope things go better this time.    I like his chances for his outcome stats to be helped by appropriately quick hooks this year.    Next Monday is I believe the new latest and greatest pitcher deadline, but that one is nearing Lucy football mode.

I see certain similarities between Kremer and Bradish. Both can be effective when they have command but they have times where they can’t find the top borderline of the strike zone and throw pitches that aren’t close enough to tempt swings up there.   In both cases I feel if they could sharpen that up, they’d be pretty tough to hit.  

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Needs to throw that curveball more often...

Took him about 5-7 before he threw one that actually broke.   He needs to throw it more if he can actually throw a good one.   If the first 6 are just going to hang, then maybe it's not a good idea.    He needs to throw it more on the side so he has more confidence throwing it in the game.   Not sure why it took so long or him to get a feel for it.   Perhaps he was overthrowing it.  Hopefully, he learns.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see certain similarities between Kremer and Bradish. Both can be effective when they have command but they have times where they can’t find the top borderline of the strike zone and throw pitches that aren’t close enough to tempt swings up there.   In both cases I feel if they could sharpen that up, they’d be pretty tough to hit.  

There are similarties but Bradish has a lot more consistency with his secondaries IMO.    I know Bradish has a plus slider most of the time but he needs to be more consistent.   His change looks pretty good too.    I don't think there was a point in the game yesterday where Kremer had a second pitch he was confident in throwing.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

For the coming weeks, he's nearly back to the #2 starter context he held for the 2021 opening day squad.

Let's hope things go better this time.    I like his chances for his outcome stats to be helped by appropriately quick hooks this year.    Next Monday is I believe the new latest and greatest pitcher deadline, but that one is nearing Lucy football mode.

Is he better or did everyone else get worse?  Not even sure what the O's rotation order would be from best to worst.  Wells has been fairly dependable lately, but it seems to change from start to start who is going good and who looks like they belong in AA.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Did not see this happening.  Didn't get to watch the game, followed along on the game thread.  What is the main difference for him?

I think there is a few things happening here.   Hyde says he is more confident.   Kremer says the fastball and slider are the same but the changeup is improved.  I think having a catcher where he doesn't have to worry about a ball in the dirt going to the back stop helps.

The other big factor is that 6 of the Rays 9 position starters are hurt.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Did not see this happening.  Didn't get to watch the game, followed along on the game thread.  What is the main difference for him?

He has an improved change-up from last year.  Other than that, he was working ahead all night and really had a nice pace.  Get it and go - just a good job executing his pitches.  Last year he would fall behind, miss over the middle of the plate, and just get rocked .  It’s great to see the improvement, which looks a like like 2020 Kremer.  So, maybe last year was an aberration and he goes on to have Miguel Gonzalez type success for the next fee years.  

Edited by jdwilde1
Edit

Kremer had the slider and change going for strikes Friday and it mad all the difference.  His fastball was touching 95, and when he was able to locate it at the top of the zone, the Rays couldn't hit it. 

Great game for Kremer.

Felix Bautista was just plain nasty on Friday and Lopez struck out 4 in 1.1 innings.   Great win. 

• Like 1