Blake Snell available?

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I will never agree that lack of IP isn’t a shortcoming, especially in the regular season. But, it’s just one factor in evaluating a pitcher.  I’d rather have a 2.25 ERA pitcher who averages 5.4 IP than a 3.25 ERA pitcher who averages 6.1. 

I would agree with you if managers managed the game differently than they do now but they are so quick to get guys out, that the lack of IP is as much on them as it is the pitchers nowadays.

On 11/15/2023 at 7:32 PM, RZNJ said:

Last time he won he got a 5/50 contract and wasn’t the same pitcher again until, abra cadabra, a contract year.

I'm sure he sitting around thinking I will be mediocre and injured until my contract year and then I will win the Cy Young.  The idea that players are so much better in their contract years has been debunked.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm sure he sitting around thinking I will be mediocre and injured until my contract year and then I will win the Cy Young.  The idea that players are so much better in their contract years has been debunked.

Not only that but to act as if it’s a bad thing that he hasn’t duplicated a sub 2 ERA season is over the top.

He hasn’t been 1.89 ERA good many of the peripheral stats have remained excellent and he has been an above average or better pitcher in almost every year since then. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Friedman and Dombrowski set a high bar, and the Astros are post peak.    Atlanta probably doesn't want to hear much about the Orioles misfortune. The Orioles level of play has been in the toilet half a season but I still think the good version of themselves is the AL's best positioned team to outplay the NL's best even this year.     We'll see if Soto and Judge are more than a 1-year thing, but even so that club has vulnerabilities.
    • I agree it's unlikely but not completely far fetched. I don't think he is a lock to get more than $20M in AAV, so he could decide to take it and then hit FA if he has a good or even better year. His talent level is in a similar range as the players who have accepted: Joc Pederson, Jose Abreu, Wieters etc.
    • Sort of a funny game to have come directly after a discussion of the merits of bunting with 1st and 2nd with nobody out. Glad Bob Melvin and I don’t see eye to eye on that issue…didn’t work out in his favor today.
    • Let's be honest, Gunnar ain't finishing second either.
    • Yeah, I don't think the Orioles' struggles against NL teams is very meaningful, but I do think the NL is stronger this year.  All the NL division leaders have looked formidable and steady throughout the season.  But also the Padres and Mets have kicked their seasons into another gear and have really impressed over the past couple of months.  Compare them to the Wild Card teams in the AL, and they just appear more formidable on paper.   Also the DBacks are pretty much outhitting everyone right now -- though that's been offset by their not so effective pitching.  
    • For sure he is out of consideration as the MVP favorite to copy Cal.  Of course,  Cal didn't have an Aaron Judge to compete with.  The runner-up in MVP voting in 1983 was a guy named Eddie Murray.  Eddie had more HR, more RBI, a higher slugging and OPS than Cal, but Cal had a higher WAR and batting average (.318 to .303).  I wonder if Eddie is bitter about losing the MVP to Cal?  A case could be made for either one. 
  • Popular Contributors