1969 World Series

Orioles4Life21

I watched the 1969 World Series Film and I just wanted to come on here and say I think we got hosed by this non call in the 10th inning of game 4. Rod Gaspar was on second with no outs and J.C. Martin laid down a sac bunt. Pete Richert fielded it and threw the ball into the back of Martin who was running inside the line. Gaspar scored and the Mets won the game to go up 3-1 in the series. I've seen this called interference many times. We probably would have lost anyway but I still wanted to complain to somebody about a non call made 53 years ago. 😛

The story of this series though for me was the Mets defense. Their outfield made some ridiculous plays that kept several runs off the board for us.

PE6OREUAZVDTBFALKGNB7PI5JM.jpg

• Haha 1

I can remember playing high school ball and having the plate umpire advise our bench about the rule on a play like this.

He said that if we were to watch a major league game on TV, we would see that there was a three-foot lane outside the first base line, and even though the lane was not marked on  our field (the schools in our league didn't bother with such niceties), the rule was that the batter was supposed to run in that lane the last 45 feet on the way to first.  If we failed to do so and were hit with a thrown ball, we could be declared out and baserunners would not be allowed to advance.

I always wished the ump from my high school game could have been assigned to work the plate in Game 4 of the 1969 World Series.

But I agree with your observation about the Mets' outfielders.  Seemed like they caught everything.

I remember being 10 or 11 years old, learning about Orioles history and coming across the 1969 World Series and being incensed that the Orioles lost a World Series.  Not only that they lost a World Series, but that they lost to a team like the Mets who had been terrible up until that point.  

Growing up and learning about your favorite team is weird, at least it was for me.  "How did they lose a World Series to the METS?  And the Pirates?  TWICE!  What do you mean Nolan Ryan threw a no-hitter against them?"

• 2 weeks later...

The shoe polish on the ball in maybe Game 5 was another hose job. The Mets batter was awarded first base and I think a go-head HR followed. 

I read somewhere recently that one of the Mets later admitted to rubbing the ball (or rather A ball) against his cleats in the dugout before Gil Hodges presented it to the ump as the ball that involved in the play. In fact, I think it was originally called a ball and then after given a smudged ball, the ump reversed his call. 

My mother saved a lot of Orioles programs and memorabilia from the games she went to with her dad - my Pop.  When I was 5-6-7 and just starting to play baseball, I found them in a box in the attic.  It was like Christmas morning.  I still have them and break them out for my kids.  The coolest programs are the ones from the Playoffs and World Series from that era.  That 1969 World Series always made me mad too.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2022 at 1:19 AM, NashLumber said:

The shoe polish on the ball in maybe Game 5 was another hose job. The Mets batter was awarded first base and I think a go-head HR followed. 

I read somewhere recently that one of the Mets later admitted to rubbing the ball (or rather A ball) against his cleats in the dugout before Gil Hodges presented it to the ump as the ball that involved in the play. In fact, I think it was originally called a ball and then after given a smudged ball, the ump reversed his call. 

I went to the first game of that WS as a 13 year old and that was the only one the Orioles won.  But yes they got ripped off with the non interference play and especially the shoe polish play.  

I can't believe the ump would just accept that the ball with shoe polish proved the Mets player had been hit by the pitch.. Of course the Mets rubbed that ball against their shoe.  

How about a challenge for both of those plays now based on replays. 

• Upvote 1