Is Ryan McKenna our new Benny Ayala?

rjslomo

Will he hang around for the next 5 - 10 years as that extra outfielder/defensive replacement? Kinda like the backup qb in the NFL, might be one of the most lucrative jobs to have as far as compensation vs workload. Happy if this is the case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, DocJJ said:

Ayala- terrible fielder and slow.   McKenna great fielder and fast.

Right. Ayala was a prototypical 1970s-80s Earl Weaver player made possible by 9-man pitching staffs.  Ayala was a socially responsible Delmon Young.  His only real tool was an ability to hit left-handed pitching.

The Mets and Cards gave away Ayala because who needs a defensively suspect LF/RFer who OPSes .700?  Earl said who cares if he can't field, can't run and can't hit righties, I can use him for 150 at bats a year and sub him for a better fielder when we're ahead.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm kind of with you on this. Everything just feels like a crap shoot.  KC went and bought a bunch of 5th starters last offseason and might mess around and eliminate the top 2 AL East teams. 
    • Lol. It did make me chuckle I admit. 
    • With our second season of postseason futility behind us a number of posts have been made about the need for "players with postseason experience" to variously "calm, lead, guide, motivate," the younger players.  I've often suspected that this [postseason experience] is a much-overblown quality to guide our player acquisition efforts.  I realize the postseason, notably the World Series, is a mighty big stage on which to perform, but, between high school, college, and the minors, most of these players have played in some pretty big games under some significant pressure.   I finally ran across a data-driven article that set out to answer this question.  Published in 2002 in The Baseball Research Journal, Tom Hanrahan concludes it doesn't matter:   "Do baseball players fare better in the post-season when they have post-season experience behind them?  My research says the answer is a clear no.  Managers' efforts to build teams with players who 'have been there before' appear to be fruitless ventures, sacrificing money and possibly quality for no apparent gain.'"  What say you?  Is Hanrahan right?  Or is he all wet and the Orioles should go out and hire some wiley veterans who've "been there before" to get them over the hump?   https://sabr.org/journal/article/does-experience-help-in-the-postseason/#:~:text=Do baseball players fare better,quality for no apparent gain.
    • I disagree with your conclusion but I'm appropriating this line over the next couple of weeks:  "mega religious Lego playing softie white bread error machines."   🤣
    • What is crazy is that Soto won't be 26 for another couple of weeks.  Guy has been an absolute force on offense for 7 seasons already and he is almost a year younger than Adley.  There is always risk tied to the back end of big contracts, but I would hate to constantly pass on players like this just because we are always afraid of the next Chris Davis (who really fell off the cliff in his age 32 season).  I don't think we will be in play for a Soto type player anyhow, and I certainly understand that management has to focus on finances and the budgets. But as a fan, all I care about is winning games and October success. Whether the Os have a payroll of $50 million, $150 million, or $500 million, I really don't care as long as they bring a championship to Baltimore.  Flags fly forever.  
    • Is Britt the only good MLB journo at this point? 
  • Popular Contributors