2022 6th Round Pick (#167): Douglas Hodo - OF - (Jr) University of Texas

2022 6th Round Pick (#167): Douglas Hodo - OF - (Jr) University of Texas

Stats

Initial Take: Hodo says "Hold the door!" Ok, maybe not, but a good defensive center fielder with middling offensive numbers (sound familiar) seems to be an Elias staple. Reminds me a bit of John Rhodes as a right-handed hitting OF with the ability to draw a walk, but who doesn't tap into his raw power enough in games.

Red shirt Sophomore but he's 21.   Don't laugh.   Overslot?     

The Texas center fielder put together a strong spring for the 47-22 College World Series squad. Posting a .319 batting average, the 6-foot 185-pound redshirt sophomore led the team with 26 doubles while also belting 10 home runs. Most of Hodo’s power takes place to the pull side, but he has shown the ability to drive the ball to all fields. He is an aggressive swinger, expanding his zone at times simply trying to do too much. However, scouts love Hodo’s compact stroke that possesses plenty of bat speed that should allow him to make a smooth transition into pro ball. With athleticism and a high baseball IQ, Hodo will likely have no problem sticking in center field. He should continue to improve his game as he gets more experience to go with an intriguing skill set.

Seems like this could be your overslot but I have to imagine your post-covid sophomores have much less leverage than your typical sophomore picks. Threatening to go back to school to be 22 in your junior season just doesn't have the same appeal. 

There are not any clear over/under slots that I've seen us take so far other than maybe the catcher we just picked in the fourth. 

2 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

I think I read somewhere this kid had a traumatic experience as a child and now he can only say one word, "Hodo." Hence, the name. 

Not going to lie, that was the first thing that popped into my mind!