Where are the dingers?

tinman

3 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Even the rookie Varra had a better at bat today than the rest of the lineup save Rutchman. 1 big bat and 1 #2 or #3 controllable starter and this team would be one of the 3 WC teams right now instead of being 3 out.

Santander had some pretty good ABs.

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

It’s noticeable that the guys that have come through the system learning swing decisions seem much better at laying off pitches out of the zone. 

Vavra's PA at the end of the game where he took the walk was impressive. He laid off some very close pitches particularly the 3-2 up and in fastball for ball four.

You have to wonder what kind of hitters Mountcastle and Hays would be had they come up through this system? They have the talent, but their swing decisions still leave a lot to be desired!

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Vavra's PA at the end of the game where he took the walk was impressive. He laid off some very close pitches particularly the 3-2 up and in fastball for ball four.

You have to wonder what kind of hitters Mountcastle and Hays would be had they come up through this system? They have the talent, but their swing decisions still leave a lot to be desired!

And it this point in Hays' and Mountcastle's careers it might not be possible to alter their approach at the plate and still have them be effective hitters. They have thousands upon thousands of at bats using their own technique that ended up making them successful MLB ballplayers. 

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Impressive AB. But I’m concerned he’ll go the way of DJ Stewart and Chance Sisco. Some guys have great eyes but can’t catch up to ML pitching. Pitchers learn to go right after them and they can’t adjust.

The warehouse doesn’t seem to think much of his defense either. 

48 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Impressive AB. But I’m concerned he’ll go the way of DJ Stewart and Chance Sisco. Some guys have great eyes but can’t catch up to ML pitching. Pitchers learn to go right after them and they can’t adjust.

The warehouse doesn’t seem to think much of his defense either. 

He could end up like Sisco. Good minor league hitter without a defensive spot. Saying that, Vavra has speed and can play the outfield so I wouldn't call him Sisco yet. 

He will need to prove he can hit good fastballs at the major league level. We won't know that until he gets some PAs under his belt.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He could end up like Sisco. Good minor league hitter without a defensive spot. Saying that, Vavra has speed and can play the outfield so I wouldn't call him Sisco yet. 

He will need to prove he can hit good fastballs at the major league level. We won't know that until he gets some PAs under his belt.

If only he could get that opportunity.  Too bad we don't have a below average 2nd baseman whose plate appearances he could possibly get.  I know, I know, beating a dead horse.  😉

7 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

When do the hitting coaches start owning some of the responsbility?

What exactly are they taking responsibility for?

April -2.95 runs per game (3.91 league average).

May - 4.27 (4.18)

June - 4.65 (4.38)

July - 4.44 (4.46)

The team did slump a bit the last part of July, but basically the hitting has been solid for three months now.   Even though we were a hair below the league mean in July, we were 7th of 15 teams in the league in runs per game.  

I’m not saying the offense can’t improve, but I don’t think there’s any reason the hitting coaches should be whipping boys.  They have nothing to apologize for.   

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I feel like Mountcastle has made incremental improvements here recently.  O-swing is supposed to be statistically significant at like 40 PA so I am moderately hopeful.