The two guys we got for Mancini look like keepers

2001OriolesFan

Seith Johnson has been ranked as our OVERALL 8th best prospect.  He is our third best pitching prospect.  He was the 40th player drafted in 2019.  Read a history/description of him at [    https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/     }.  _(Click on his name and a window will pop up).   An excerpt from that contains:

Johnson always had the ingredients to succeed, including a fastball that touches 98 mph and sits in the mid-90s with carry at the top of the zone plus a swing-and-miss slider in the mid-80s that ticked up in velocity late last season. But he was bound to be a late bloomer due to his limited experience on the mound. So perhaps it’s unsurprising that he seemed to gain more confidence in and understanding of his arsenal, which also includes a changeup and a curveball, as his first full season progressed

I am happy with this guy alone for Mancini.  I can not understand all the bashing of this trade by people calling him just a low level A level pitcher. Why don't those people do a few keystrokes and get some information? 

The second guy in this trade is Chayce McDermott and our #11 overall prospect.   He is a 4th round draft pick (suplemental round) of the Astros.   He has some development work to do, and is less certain to get it all together.   

McDermott added 2-3 mph of velocity to his fastball in 2021, operating at 92-96 mph and topping out at 98 while maintaining mid-90s heat deep into games. He delivers his four-seamer on a flat approach angle, showing good carry up in the zone but getting hit when he doesn't locate well. He has a pair of promising secondary pitches with depth and does a better job of throwing strikes and getting chases with his low-80s slider than his mid-70s curveball.

Relatively inexperienced for a college pitcher because he worked just 139 innings in four years at Ball State, he could continue to clean up his delivery and emerge as a mid-rotation starter.

He is our 4th highest pitching prospect and was ranked just ahead of Bauman and Vavara.

While I do like the trade there is an issue with Johnson.  He's at the point in his career in which he needs to be put on the 40 man roster and he's hurt and hasn't pitched past A ball.

Do they not protect him and risk losing him?

Might he end up on the ML roster before he's developmentally ready at some point?

To friends and family not as immersed as us here, I've described it as good return, but for pitchers who are two years away.

Not much help for next year's 1425 innings, but mid-decade we'll see.    Maybe Santander-ish level guys for Grayson's Supporting Cast.

Since everything in the baseball world Mike Elias cares about so far is denominated in draft pool dollars, it's a $2mm return for Mancini.    Steve Cohen's 5X guess as the real value of rigged game draft pool dollars guesses Elias negotiated a ~$10mm surplus value return, which Mancini probably needs a few October big hits to provide Houston.     I forget if the visiting team gets a share of the Road Gate, but figure he'll put a few butts in seats when the Astros come in.

Obviously Johnson's TJ you have to ding him a little, but I feel the probability any Arm will have TJ sometime before they are 30-ish years old is well-baked into Club's assessments by now.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I do like the trade there is an issue with Johnson.  He's at the point in his career in which he needs to be put on the 40 man roster and he's hurt and hasn't pitched past A ball.

Might he end up on the ML roster before he's developmentally ready at some point?

They will protect him, for sure.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would be funny if the O’s didn’t add him to the 40 man roster and then the Rays take him in the rule 5. 

I could see him being left off the roster, Elias left Pop knowing damn well that he’d be taken but took the risk anyways so there’s precedent. 

If he’s added then that leaves 2 years where he can be optioned while he climbs the ladder from A ball while also being on an innings limit. That means he will have to sink or swim in a few years with no room for error because hopefully by that time, the O’s will actually be trying to compete and won’t have room for experiments in the bullpen. 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could end up being a Bundy situation because of the injury and options. I think that’s why Johnson was available. I think you have to protect him or a team could pull and Orioles and draft and stash him. 

We got two big time arms but one is already hurt. Gotta keep them healthy and develop them. 

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If they put Johnson on the 40, can't they just transfer him to the 60 day DL to open up his spot?

Yes, but that still uses up a slot at that particular moment in time.

Also putting him on the 40 starts the clock for him needing to be on the ML roster.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Valid questions. But as you say, it is possible to also develop at the ML level. Harder and less convenient if we’re contending, but possible.