Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

I guarantee you the twins would trade Lopez for the package they sent us. If you ask anyone in retrospect with a brain, they would make that trade 100 times out of 100.  We have a legitimate starting pitching prospect and Lopez had negative value after we traded him. Relievers are extremely volatile.  Especially relievers with very little track record.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nope. What we’re underestimating is that we’re wasting years of Adley/Gunnar. Both prospects are 1-2 years away. 

If the Twins wouldn’t redo the trade, then I think that tells you about the trade. They’re trying to win. I’m sure they’re happy with the 3+ out reliever that throws 99mph sinkers. 

Then you sign ML players in the offseason so you’re not wasting Adley/Gunnar. Not sure why you’re overreacting to 2.1 IP from Lopez. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nope. What we’re underestimating is that we’re wasting years of Adley/Gunnar. Both prospects are 1-2 years away. 

If the Twins wouldn’t redo the trade, then I think that tells you about the trade. They’re trying to win. I’m sure they’re happy with the 3+ out reliever that throws 99mph sinkers. 

Would the Orioles redo the trade?    Baker emerged as a good setup man 2nd half of last year.   I think they felt that Lopez was replaceable.   I'm willing to see what Baker, Gillaspie, and even Baumann can do.   I'm not writing them off after 2-3 appearances this year.   Also, we are down both Givens and Tate right now.    Long way to do.   In a vacuum, this team would be better if we had Jorge Lopez right now.   I think I'd still take the current situation and the 4 guys we got back.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

You’re not going to go into every old thread of ex-relievers and start a panicked discussion, are you?

(Tony, can you preemptively lock the Richard Bleier Appreciation thread?) 😀

George Sherrill is only 45. His arm is probably rested up for a stretch run.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is pretty silly conversation to have six games into the season. The trade was good for the Orioles when it happened, and it's still a good trade, even if this team could use Lopez right now aftetr he Tate and Givens injuries. 

The Orioles have a borderline top 100 prospect in Povich and three wild cards/lottery tickets that added to the pitching depth in the organization. Lopez was replaceable last year and ultimately will be this year. 

Lopez was replaceable as closer with Bautista, but then who replaced Bautista in MR/SU. You can drive a Mack truck through that hole. 

The logic behind the trade was that we couldn’t afford Lopez’s arb # in 23-24. So instead we give a banged up/washed up Givens $8 million?  

Elias has been really good at tearing down and selling, but so far is record on supplementing a team on the verge is pretty suspect. 

• Confused 1