Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

Just now, waroriole said:

Has Phillips been added to the roster? 

One of the beat writers tweeted that he has a locker in TEX that was previously assigned to Lopez. I still don't get who he replaced on the roster. Asked a few times yesterday and not sure a response was given. Did he replace Lopez officially on the roster or can you only have a certain # of position players? Vespi replaced Mancini right? Then Gillaspie, Benboom, and someone else were on the taxi squad. Was another pitcher activated?

4 minutes ago, justD said:

I'm so jaded now about when Elias ever thinks we'll be ready to start winning.  After what happened this past off-season and what's happened throughout the year with guys being brought up (or not) and what happened at this trade deadline even after becoming a .500+ team, I will be pleasantly surprised if they'll be trying to win in 2023, and I seriously doubt they will be. 

Sorry for the pessimism this morning. Confusion reigns. 

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more.  Elias made moves that could help us significantly in the future and should hurt us very little in the present.   I fully expect him to spend the winter making moves designed to help the 2023 team be a serious contender.   And I haven’t given up hope on the 2022 team eking out a playoff spot.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Seems to be a lot of angst over picking up a reserve outfielder for cash considerations.  Not worth worrying about, imo.

It's not angst or worry, just discussion of a puzzling move. The Orioles bought (the word "trade" seems a bit inaccurate) a 28 year old outfielder with a 40 OPS+ who's making 1.4 million this year. Most of us were hoping that a trade of Mancini or Santander would result in a Stowers promotion. It's a weird move. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more.  Elias made moves that could help us significantly in the future and should hurt us very little in the present.   I fully expect him to spend the winter making moves designed to help the 2023 team be a serious contender.   And I haven’t given up hope on the 2022 team eking out a playoff spot.   

Do you see him putting the pedal to the metal to start the season next year or being "tactical" in how he promotes players?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you see him putting the pedal to the metal to start the season next year or being "tactical" in how he promotes players?

It may vary by situation.  I think Rodriguez has a very good chance to start 2023 in the rotation.   I think Stowers has a really good chance to make the team on day one, too.  Henderson and Westburg may depend on what happens with Urias and Mateo.  Hall, who knows, he’s such a Jevkyll and Hyde-type pitcher.   

Just now, spleen1015 said:

I think folks are just sick of the losing and now that we're winning a little bit they're getting impatient and want more.

I'm gonna trust Elias because he's good a great job up to this point.

Yeah, I really don’t get the lack of faith in Elias. We’ve gone from one of the worst teams in baseball, with one of the worst farm systems for a very long time, to a team that’s above .500 with one of the best farm systems in all of baseball. There’s really no reason any fan should doubt him after what he’s done so far. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m okay with him exercising the option on Lyles but I’d like them to sign better free agents than from the bargain bin (Chirinos & Odor)

It's a relief that it was Diaz who got optioned, I guess. He didn't earn the callup in the first place and was clearly just holding Mancini's roster spot for a couple days. That said, Diaz deserves a roster spot more than Phillips just based on the fact that we should get a look at Diaz before his now almost inevitable DFA. 

I would have been incensed if Vavra was optioned and irritated if McKenna was optioned. 

The fact that Phillips is on this roster just feels like a threat to the playing time of anyone more deserving. And in this case anyone = everyone. Everyone on this roster deserves to play more than Phillips, even guys like Nevin. 

Instead, we're going to enjoy lineups vs RHP that include BOTH Odor and Phillips, two of the absolute worst hitters in MLB. 

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I think folks are just sick of the losing and now that we're winning a little bit they're getting impatient and want more.

I'm gonna trust Elias because he's good a great job up to this point.

Definitely true. Snarky comments about lineups, bullpen use, etc., have noticeably increased on the board IMO. Not fun to read, but probably a side effect of rising expectations. And maybe more newbies or general activity on the board due to the improved play of the Orioles (which is obviously a good thing)? 

We didn't get back into the hunt of our position players.  We got back because our starters pitched better than I thought they could, and the pen was lights out.  There was a huge drop in team ERA.  Elias has a schedule for bringing up players.  He has his own benchmarks to determine if they are ready.  He's not going to bring them up to fail.  

He's still doing auditions with the guys who are up.  Next year the team will be different, but Elais isn't going to change his schedule.  At least my take.

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

We didn't get back into the hunt of our position players.  We got back because our starters pitched better than I thought they could, and the pen was lights out.  There was a huge drop in team ERA.  Elias has a schedule for bringing up players.  He has his own benchmarks to determine if they are ready.  He's not going to bring them up to fail.  

He's still doing auditions with the guys who are up.  Next year the team will be different, but Elais isn't going to change his schedule.  At least my take.

Sure he shouldn't change his schedule over what I say, or what Buster says but he should be able to adjust his plans to adapt to changing circumstances.

If he's overly rigid that's a problem.