Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

Brett Phillips Is really the ultimate test of how much someone is willing to look beyond traditional stats and rely on value stats.  According to baseball reference, he’s been league average or better every year except for this year.  His career 162WL% is .506!  So, a whole team of Brett Phillips types should produce an 82 win team.  He really does everything well except hit (career Rbat is -25) but he makes up for it and then some with his defensive and base running (career RAA is 21).   So, why not bring in this guy for $100k, especially when his hitting splits are so pronounced?  Just don’t ever let him hit against a lefty.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:44 PM, jdwilde1 said:

Brett Phillips Is really the ultimate test of how much someone is willing to look beyond traditional stats and rely on value stats.  According to baseball reference, he’s been league average or better every year except for this year.  His career 162WL% is .506!  So, a whole team of Brett Phillips types should produce an 82 win team.  He really does everything well except hit (career Rbat is -25) but he makes up for it and then some with his defensive and base running (career RAA is 21).   So, why not bring in this guy for $100k, especially when his hitting splits are so pronounced?  Just don’t ever let him hit against a lefty.

He’s making the prorated cost of 1.3 million, not $100K. He’s not worth the money and at times this team has struggled to score runs. We don’t need another guy contributing to that. 

3 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

At least someone is excited he's here.

Haha. I'm amazed at how many people were instantly ready to overlook his inability to provide any offense. And then also to not care that he might be blocking some prospects. 

Look, I'm gonna applaud the guy if he makes a great defensive play or helps win a game somehow. It's not HIS fault he's here. I just don't really see how he's going to be all that more impactful than Ryan McKenna (who I also am not a big fan of, but who still deserves to play way more than Phillips IMO). The decision to pinch hit Phillips for McKenna because of the R-L matchup was at best, a nothing burger, and at worst, a bad strategic move considering the reason you pinch hit is to add offense not subtract it. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The good news is, he’s really excited to be a Baltimore Oriole!

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/phillips

I feel so much better now!

Even if the move still doesn't make much sense to me here and now, I really like Brett and hope he can turn things around here in the next 2 months. If he can get back to mashing RHPs (as he has in the past), he could form a potentially pretty solid platoon with McKenna in CF next year and allow us to move Mullins or Hays for a legit SP to slot in alongside GrayRod and Wells to start the year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

At least someone is excited he's here.

An O's fan group on facebook I'm part of was mobbed by Rays fans saying how lucky the O's were to have Phillips.  When you consider how difficult it is to get Rays fans excited about anything (or even find them) it was quite the display of affection.

I think he is a great dude. I like the guy a lot. I just don't think the O's needed to add him for any reason.

I am a fan who is excited by all of these prospects that look really good right now and I want to see what they have in the majors. I don't want to see Phillips hit .190 instead.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Even if the move still doesn't make much sense to me here and now, I really like Brett and hope he can turn things around here in the next 2 months. If he can get back to mashing RHPs (as he has in the past), he could form a potentially pretty solid platoon with McKenna in CF next year and allow us to move Mullins or Hays for a legit SP to slot in alongside GrayRod and Wells to start the year.

I don't know about next year but someone did theorize that maybe Elias was close to a deal on Mullins and that's why he picked up Phillips and then the deal fell through at the last minute.   It still is puzzling.   He's a glorified PR and defensive replacement but who's he going to replace.  When Hays and Mullins are in the game, they aren't getting replaced for defensive purposes even by Phillips.    He's going to take over for McKenna as Santander's late game defensive replacement?     Ok.

Edited by RZNJ

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don't know about next year but someone did theorize that maybe Elias was close to a deal on Mullins and that's why he picked up Phillips and then the deal fell through at the last minute. 

Might have been me that you saw say that, I posted that theory in the deadline thread after the trading window closed at 6pm and Mullins, Hays, and Santander all stayed put here. It really seems to make the most sense.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's going to take over for McKenna as Santander's late game defensive replacement? 

And we'll also keep McKenna on the roster. 

:noidea:

• Upvote 1

A few things on Phillips.

Definitely was acquired for depth if a Santander, Mullins, or hays deal had gone through

I could see McKenna being a small piece in an off-season trade for controllable pitching as he still has some ceiling as a prospect, Phillips takes 4th of role

Stowers will be up soon, but no guarantee he thrives right away, so Phillips is your insurance there too 

• Upvote 1

When Phillips was announced, I said it must mean one of the OFer was dealt.

Since no one was dealt, I highly doubt Elias made this move thinking another deal was done.

Elias isn’t stupid.  He knows what’s happening and whats not.  I highly doubt TB had anyone knocking down the door to acquire him.  

Elias acquired him because she wanted him.  It’s that simple.