I truly believe we are the best fanbase in all of baseball

tinman

Definitely jealous of all you older guys who have seen the orioles win a World Series. Hopefully I’ll see one soon. This whole rebuild process has been a joy to follow though. I have been obsessed with the NFL draft since the Ravens started, but I never really paid any attention to the MLB draft or the minor leagues before this rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Definitely jealous of all you older guys who have seen the orioles win a World Series. Hopefully I’ll see one soon. This whole rebuild process has been a joy to follow though. I have been obsessed with the NFL draft since the Ravens started, but I never really paid any attention to the MLB draft or the minor leagues before this rebuild. 

I will say I didn't properly appreciate '83 when it happened.  As a then Orioles/Redskins fan I just figured that the good times were going to keep rolling. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

This is probably the most excited I’ve been for orioles baseball since I was a kid watching them in the playoffs in the 90s. Not sure why, but this feels better than those few playoff appearances we had From 2012 to 2016. I guess it just feels like we are finally going in the right direction. 

Those 2012-16 teams were fun, but you could just tell that window was going to shut, as Duquette kept making short term moves and the team made several incorrect choices about who to lock up or not.   And, the factions in the organization were problematic.  Now it seems like everyone is singing from the same sheet of music, the front office has been patient and the stage is set for a longer and more successful run.   Really, the only disadvantage I see compared to 2012-16 is that the AL East is stronger now.   But, with the more balanced schedule starting next year, that won’t be as big an issue as it could have been.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I'll gladly switch ages with you.  No problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

RZNJ is older. I'm just plain old!!!!!!! Been a heck of a ride since 1954. Just trying to hang on for another World Series run!!!!!

6 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

RZNJ is older. I'm just plain old!!!!!!! Been a heck of a ride since 1954. Just trying to hang on for another World Series run!!!!!

Ok.  Now I'm rooting for both you and the Orioles to make that happen.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

We will need to win about 5 more World Series to get rid of the bad taste in my mouth that is 1971 and 1979. That’s not asking much, is it?

You’re not going to mention 1969?   That was the worst event of my young life to that point!  The frigging NY media was all over that and it was inescapable.  And on the heels of the Jets beating the Colts, it was unbearable.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I was 26 in 1966 (you can do the math) - that was REAL excitement!!!!!!!!!! Come close since then but that was the first and best.

I was 23, newly arrived in DC, and fresh outta NYawk in ‘66, where my NY Jints had fled to the coast and replaced by Casey, Choo Choo and the soon to be “Amazin’s”.  I had no team and some dude in the office from Sewanee, TN kept talking about Brooks and Frank until I was hooked.  What a year and beginning of a long love affair!

Although I have to admit to a fondness for the resurgent Mets and Buck nowadaze.  😬

Edited by bobmc
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re not going to mention 1969?   That was the worst event of my young life to that point!  The frigging NY media was all over that and it was inescapable.  And on the heels of the Jets beating the Colts, it was unbearable.  

Make that 7 World Series !!!  Yes, I still have nightmares of  Ron Swoboda’s diving catch.

While I was 7 years old in '83, my first baseball memory is the '86 World Series and opening baseball cards that year.

The end of 2012 was hard for me. I cried when the O's were eliminated.

This last 30-40 games or so has reinvigorated my O's fandom. I am having a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I will say I didn't properly appreciate '83 when it happened.  As a then Orioles/Redskins fan I just figured that the good times were going to keep rolling. 

Sadly, '83 was like that for me, too. I had a really bad senior year of high school baseball. A kid whose dad brown-nosed the coach resulted me in being benched, except for late innings for defense or pinch hitting. Being totally demoralized about baseball in general, my fandom of it in all realms fell off for about 15 years, ie. '80 to '95. Cal brought me back with his streak. I felt additionally robbed that I really was just a casual O's fan by '83 and didn't really follow as the full on fan I was from ages 7 to 18. But I did follow '69, '70, '71 and '79 the best I could via the newspaper box scores and whenever the O's made it on to TV. Obviously, it was a great time to start one's O's fandom. Postseason success made that easy in those years to follow on TV, too. 

Edited by NashLumber
  • Like 1

I do not know much about the fan base now but in the 80's Baltimore was amazing.  When the Orioles lost the last game of the year to lose the pennant to the Brewers the fans stayed and made the players all come out again.  We stayed like a half an hour after the loss and just cheered.  It was like a religious experience.  Very moving.   

Then in 1988 the orioles lost the first 21 games of the season.  After they finally won the next home game was a sellout as everyone wanted to give the players some love.  Very amazing moments. 

But three decades of Angelos leadership had worn a lot of us out and slowed a lot of new fans.    But once upon a time the Oriole fans were more rabid than most.  

I mean we worshiped a drunk taxi cab driver who seemed to only like catching a buzz and doing the ORIOLE chant.  It was a fun time.  Wild Bill

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

While I was 7 years old in '83, my first baseball memory is the '86 World Series and opening baseball cards that year.

The end of 2012 was hard for me. I cried when the O's were eliminated.

This last 30-40 games or so has reinvigorated my O's fandom. I am having a lot of fun.

Same. I am having so much fun watching the Orioles. I cannot watch all the games, usually catch a few innings of night games because I have to go to sleep since I work 1st shift. But I watch all the day games. I can't stop thinking about the O's now.

• Upvote 1