I truly believe we are the best fanbase in all of baseball

tinman

In my heart I believe this to be true. As soon as the O's even approach .500 the entire area erupts. Arbutus, Dundalk, Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill, South Baltimore, etc. It just goes bonkers with O's love. Our active 26 man payroll is only $26 million which is less than dozens of MLB players are making this year. Even after multiple 110 loss seasons and being pretty much one of the worst teams in league history for about 5 years we are still the most passionate fanbase. Maybe that is why we are so passionate. Because we are not spoiled. We don't have a great owner. We are a small market team and "small" large city. We can't just go and buy the best players. And yet even though the Rays and Blue Jays have had more success than us recently, they have little to no fanbase. No passion for the team. Sure, the Dodgers, Yankees, Astros, Cubs, White Sox, Mets, Phillies, Red Sox have a lot of fans, but it's a volume fandom. Not a passionate homegrown local fandom in the same way. The sheer size of their metro areas ensures they have the most volume of fans. Plus it's full of payroll bandwagoners. We can't just go out and buy the best free agents like they can. Hell, we can't even keep our best homegrown talent like we saw with Manny.

I work 1st shift, so keep that in mind when reading this anecdote, I'm not a total degenerate lol. The day Mancini hit that inside the park home run I went to the swimming pool in Riverside Park and then went to the bar afterwards for a Quesadilla and a drink. And the O's were on TV playing a day game! Even better. Jesus Christ, this little tiny bar was packed on a workday afternoon with Os fans coming in and out to watch the game. Everybody was glued to the TV. When Mancini popped up and circled all 4 bases it was a magical moment that I will never forget. Everybody lost their minds.

I love being an Os fan!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The best fanbase in baseball averages more than 17,091 tickets sold a game.

Five teams are doubling the average attendance of the O's.

Milwaukee is averaging over 30K a game.

Sometimes Eeyore, It's OK just to let someone be happy.

Even if it's a little over the top.

When you inject misery into EVERYTHING...  people start to think that maybe you're just a miserable human being.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, owknows said:

When you inject misery into EVERYTHING...  people start to think that maybe you're just a miserable human being.

Who is this guy? Why is he always being a killjoy? Dude needs to get a beer and an attractive woman. Settle down and take that stick out of his ass for a bit.

Edited by tinman

11 minutes ago, tinman said:

Who is this guy? Why is he always being a killjoy? Dude needs to get a beer and an attractive woman. Settle down and take that stick out of his ass for a bit.

It's just so delightful when I critique the content of a post and I am met with personal attacks.

It's just so classy.

20 minutes ago, tinman said:

No one is claiming the O's have the biggest volume of fans. We have the best and most passionate fanbase. If you can't see it then you are blinder than a man with no eyes.

Well, have you lived in other cities?  Except for when I was in college and law school, I haven’t, except that I live in the DC suburbs and work in DC, so I can see what the Nats’ fan base is like.  So, it’s hard to comment on other cities.  

I think any team probably has its core fans who stick with the team through thick and thin, and the bandwagon fans who only get interested when the team is good.   O’s fans have been tested mightily over the last 27 years or so.  Yankees and Red Sox fans?  Not so much.  Not many fan bases have been tested like ours.   

SG mentioned the Cardinals fans.   There is great interest in baseball there.   What would it be like if the team had losing seasons 80% of the time for a generation and a half?   We don’t know.  The team has been the opposite of that. It’s easy to be a fan of that team.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Art Artist GIF by Alex Boya

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tinman said:

You are a middle aged snarky wanna be tough guy. I'm shocked you don't have a mid 1960s Clint Eastwood as your avatar pic. I guarantee you that if you knew me or my boys in real life you wouldn't be such a sarcastic smart mouth to our faces that's for sure. Don't act surprised when a passive aggressive tough guy gets met with a little bit of overt pushback.

#iamverybadass has invaded OH.

And I'm the wanna be tough guy?

Keke.