For those who thought Tex wanted to be a Yankee...

JTrea81

I am trying to recall any Type A FA player that the O's, or other teams signed that the Yankees were after too? I'm having trouble recalling any. Also, how does this effect the Yankee draft in June (not that it matters)?

Albert Belle is probably the last one at least for the O's.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Albert Belle is probably the last one at least for the O's.

Not really, it's a bad example obviously but Danys Baez was pursued by both the Yankees and Red Sox. But Duquette came out with a strong offer and got him. Which is why I said we'd have been better off if it was him pursuing Teixeira and not MacPhail...

Duquette didn't play games, if he wanted a player, he went after them with guns blazing. It's a trait I wish MacPhail had...

And thus why I am upset about this...It just looks bad on so many levels.

It looks bad to the fans....It announces were aren't going to be serious for the big money guys(6+ year, 17+ million dollar a year players) and it says that maybe we aren't the right path because what we value and how we handle things are still subpar.

We shall see....AM still has around 7 weeks or so before ST starts...He can do a lot of things in that time to really change perception of himself and this team.

And if we aren't going to be serious about big money FAs, I doubt we are going to extend our top talent to big money contracts like Roberts, Markakis, Jones and Wieters...

They are just going to play out their 4 years or so before MacPhail deals them or lets them walk for draft picks...

And if we aren't going to be serious about big money FAs, I doubt we are going to extend our top talent to big money contracts like Roberts, Markakis, Jones and Wieters...

They are just going to play out their 4 years or so before MacPhail deals them or lets them walk for draft picks...

Seriously, this act is getting old.

AM has always done a good job of keeping his own.

Just because you followed Belkast around like a puppy dog and had ill conceived notions about how crazy the orioles would go for Tex, doesn't mean they aren't going to keep their own around.

AM has always done this.

And thus why I am upset about this...It just looks bad on so many levels.

It looks bad to the fans....It announces were aren't going to be serious for the big money guys(6+ year, 17+ million dollar a year players) and it says that maybe we aren't the right path because what we value and how we handle things are still subpar.

We shall see....AM still has around 7 weeks or so before ST starts...He can do a lot of things in that time to really change perception of himself and this team.

I think what we have here is two differing philosophies. On one hand you have the, get the good players now no matter what the cost type. Then on the other hand you have the, we really shouldn't go after these kind of guys until the team has a solid foundation type.

I for one fall into the latter. Unless you are talking about pitching(good pitchers) then I'm all about being aggressive. But since the O's refuse to go over 3 years for a pitcher that is a moot point.

Not really, it's a bad example obviously but Danys Baez was pursued by both the Yankees and Red Sox. But Duquette came out with a strong offer and got him. Which is why I said we'd have been better off if it was him pursuing Teixeira and not MacPhail...

Duquette didn't play games, if he wanted a player, he went after them with guns blazing. It's a trait I wish MacPhail had...

Baez wasn't a type A free agent though....was he? If he was I have some serious reservations about the people who make up these lists.

Comical.

At what point are you going to stop making this asinine point?

Signing or not signing Tex has NOTHING to do with Markakis, Weiters, or Jones.

Roberts is likely gone but that's a whole different scenario.

I haven't read any of this thread.

All I will say is this....It is easy for someone to say, they want to go somewhere when no other team that the player wants to go to is offering them enough money.

People say Boras never gave the Orioles a chance to up their offer...I say bs.

You mean to tell me if the Orioles called up Boras and said that they are putting a 8/184 offer on the table that he wouldn't have listened? LOL, that is absurd to even remotely believe that.

End of the day the Orioles flat out didn't do enough to get Tex to Baltimore...Whether that be money, aggression, a feeling of "we want you here" or whatever, the Orioles didn't do it.

I am not sure how that idea can even be debated.

Now, even if they had done all of that, perhaps Tex still says no thanks.

But so what? At least you go out and give it a real effort...Not some half hearted attempt at getting him to sign here for less money.

The Orioles handled the whole process very poorly. They could have and should have done more but they elected not to.

They're burnin' witches I say... :rolleyes:

There's a lot of unsubstantiated claims in this thread. It's one thing to feel that the O's FO hasn't done enough in past negotiations, but to assert it here--as fact--when the evidence is more tangible to suggest that Tex didn't want to be an O--makes it less debatable.

Time to stop blaming MacP for something that just wasn't going to happen. Take the 140M and lock up Markakis, trade BRob for some youthful prospects with upside, trade Sherrill for another prospect or two, lock up a pitcher on the FA market and call it an offseason. Meanwhile...

For instance, how much should markakis get from the 140M pot allotted for Teix? I'm thinking 80M at 7 years should do the trick. :scratchchinhmm:

Talk about a 180 in philosophy. Two weeks ago, MacP was known as a guy who could lock up talent, now he's the anti-christ of the Orioles organization.

Take a breath from the cynicism already... :confused:

You are trying to liken Danys Baez to Mark Teixeira.

This fails for four reasons!

1) Biology. They do not have the same DNA.

2) One is a middle reliever, the other a 1B.

3) Baez makes an annual salary of $4.7M (still horrible), compared to $22M. It is a lot easier to be aggressive, when you still arent going completely overboard.

4) The move backfired miserably for the Orioles, so I dont understand why you would actually cite this in your defense.

IMO, Tex wanted to be a yankee from the jump. He never wanted to be an Oriole. He was a fan of the Yankees growing up. Us as fans I think we should just move on. :cussing: Tex, Boras and his wife, call me rude, disrespectful or whatever you want but he is gone went to a HATED rival so, that means i hate him.

As for the Orioles offer I think it was pathetic. They could have been in the area at least. IMO, I think they just made an offer for the sake of saying hey, we made an offer. Although I did hear that Boras or Tex never got back to AM about matching the Yankees offer. Who knows what to believe and who to believe. I just know that he is a Yankee now and that makes me :puke:

As for who this team signs or resigns well, that's a question I am scared to ask. I really believe Markakis wants to go, Roberts deserves the chance to play elsewhere and when Weiters gets there to be a FA well hopefully a true baseball man owns the team then.

You should read the thread there is some evidence out there reported by schmuck and other places showing Yankees was the team that Tex wanted to go to at first chance he could get.

IMO, it's because he knew they would anti up the most dough. Unfortunately, the Orioles did nothing to change his mind.

Hey JTrea... time to take a chill pill, or I'm gonna get out that picture of the little kid sitting on the you-know-what ;-)

Seriously, I was impressed by the way you stood up and stuck to your guns during the whole Tex-thing.

But, since the outcome disappointed you, you've just about lost your mind.

You're talking like it was a personal betrayal of you, and the O's management are basically evil-doers.

This is crazy. Really, it is.

I think you need to back-up, count to 1,000, go chop some wood, or something. (Honest.)

We finally saw a JTrea81 meltdown!!!

Archived