Trade Mountcastle instead of Santander

baltfan

Would you prefer the Orioles trade Mountcastle or Santander?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the Orioles trade Mountcastle or Santander?

• Santander
    • Mountcastle

I believe Santander will be around 2 more years and Mountcastle 4 more years? Seems obvious not to give up on Mountcastle yet and to sell high on Santander. It’s hard to watch Mountcastle play sometimes though and I wouldn’t necessarily be upset if both players were traded in the off-season. 

3 hours ago, yark14 said:

We are seeing Santander's ceiling right now.  We have yet to see Mountcastle's ceiling.

Unless Mountcastle develops a more discerning batting eye or becomes better at making contact, I agree. He could have a peak year where his batting average shoots up, but he is going to be a player who bats around .250ish. There are too many peaks and valleys with Mountcastle's offense. 

That said, I'm open to trading whichever player nets a better return or holding onto both until they hit free agency. I don't think Elias is going to force a trade and take his time until he gets an offer he prefers over keeping them. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

Scouting assessments aside, the biggest problem with Santander is the cheap quality depth behind him.

Thats true for Mountcastle too though, it’s just less obvious, but 1b is a fall back position that can be used to help make room for cheap hitters who get on base.

I think there’s a really good chance that all of Hays, Santander and Mountcastle aren’t going to be in Baltimore for 2024.

• Upvote 1