Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

So we sell our closer & emotional leader and the GM flies to tell the team despite these moves, he fully supports the playoff push and is there to help. However, Nevin remains on the roster (and was replaced in the fifth inning the other day) and Stowers just continues to rake at Norfolk (hitting a grand slam just yesterday).

I love the job this GM has done but this smells of gas lighting. What am I missing?

While I’ve been patient, it did bother me today that the Braves call up Vaugh Grissom and we continue to hold our younger guys down.  It’s great to Odor hit the homer last night and provide key hits (among other Oriole players who may not be here in the near future), but at some point, I have to think talent prevails.  We have a spot open on the 40-man.  Would love to see someone get a chance.

We're doing fine by being patient. It seems like the best of both worlds to me - winning on the big league level and getting max experience for guys like Stowers at the AAA level. I've enjoyed following him this year as he puts up MVP numbers in the International League.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

We're doing fine by being patient. It seems like the best of both worlds to me - winning on the big league level and getting max experience for guys like Stowers at the AAA level. I've enjoyed following him this year as he puts up MVP numbers in the International League.

Meh, if he’s raking in the International League he needs to be up. Some of this is too cute by half and there’s no reason to keep him down when guys like Nevin are on the team.

• Upvote 4

I honestly don't know for Stowers. The whole Brett Phillips move made no sense to me. I get he's a good fielder with good speed and supposedly a great person, but I've met many a great people who didn't get a job because they weren't as qualified as someone else. 

I don't have an issue with trading Lopez and Mancini and saying we support the team's push for the postseason if you are replacing Mancini with Stowers who would arguably be a more lateral type move. Plugging Bautista in the closer's role and ultimately replacing Lopez with Vespi on the roster and using the last spot in the pen as a revolving door for a fresh arm (see Head most recently) makes sense. Swapping out Mancini for Phillips does not. 

Stowers should be on the team in place of Phillips. I'd prefer to see Vavra playing 2B over Odor. And I'd like to see Henderson on the team instead of Nevin. (Though I'm okay waiting on this one until after he's able to retain his rookie status with the hopes he can have a monster year and finish as a top ROY competitor in 2023 and earn the team an extra draft pick). 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don’t get the “we’re winning at the big league level/don’t fix what’s not broke” argument. 

It’s like saying teams in contention shouldn’t make moves to improve themselves at the trade deadline or teams coming off an 100 win season shouldn’t add quality  free agents in the off-season……because why mess with a good thing?!?!

No, we should always be trying to get better regardless of the team winning or losing. Stowers should have been on the roster the day after Mancini was traded. Everyday since then that he’s been held down in Norfolk has been a baffling choice. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ManciniFan said:

So we sell our closer & emotional leader and the GM flies to tell the team despite these moves, he fully supports the playoff push and is there to help. However, Nevin remains on the roster (and was replaced in the fifth inning the other day) and Stowers just continues to rake at Norfolk (hitting a grand slam just yesterday).

I love the job this GM has done but this smells of gas lighting. What am I missing?

Because they are saving his service time. Nobody that isn’t here will be up before the September call ups that’s a prospect. The current expansion rules are 2 people and I expect that it will be Harvey and one of the taxi squad relievers that we’ve seen off and on all season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pushmonkey said:

Right now he wouldn’t get regular AB with Vavra killing it. 

Unfortunately this is true given the team's instance on starting Odor at 2B, but doesn't have to be. We could have him in RF (most of the time), Santander at DH, and Vavra at 2B. 

• Upvote 2

Wonder if it has anything to do with his defense.  Now I’m not saying he’s a hack or a bad defender, but having seen him play about a half dozen times now there is always one or two hits per game that drop in front of him that seemed like fairly routine plays.  Can see why they value Phillips D with the young pitchers.  

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Wonder if it has anything to do with his defense.  Now I’m not saying he’s a hack or a bad defender, but having seen him play about a half dozen times now there is always one or two hits per game that drop in front of him that seemed like fairly routine plays.  Can see why they value Phillips D with the young pitchers.  

Yes a team that played Mancini in the outfield is clearly worried about outfield defense.

• Haha 2