Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

14 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Right now he wouldn’t get regular AB with Vavra killing it. 

He could though.  Vavra as your regular second baseman, and Santander, Hays, Mullins, and Stowers in the OF and DH spots on a rolling basis.  Keeps everyone fresh too.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, if service time didn’t exist, you think all of these guys would still be in the minors, right?

Henderson for sure would be here if not for service time. Urias would move over to Second. BTW, Urias in his small ample size at 2B is 0.5 DPR which means he's been better than average at turning DPs from second after being a bit at ) DPR last year, which means he doesn't hurt you.

Then the question is, who do you bench for Stowers if Henderson comes up as well? Vavra would make a nice Pinch hitter and he can play the outfield to give him extra PAs resting Hays against good right-handers. Or you rotate 1B/LF/RF/CF/DH between Mountcastle (1B), Santander (RF/1B/DH), Vavra (DH/LF/CF), Hays (LF/RF/CF), Stowers (RF/DH) and Mullins (CF) between these six giving them each a day off every six games.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Henderson for sure would be here if not for service time. Urias would move over to Second. BTW, Urias in his small ample size at 2B is 0.5 DPR which means he's been better than average at turning DPs from second after being a bit at ) DPR last year, which means he doesn't hurt you.

Then the question is, who do you bench for Stowers if Henderson comes up as well? Vavra would make a nice Pinch hitter and he can play the outfield to give him extra PAs resting Hays against good right-handers. Or you rotate 1B/LF/RF/CF/DH between Mountcastle (1B), Santander (RF/1B/DH), Vavra (DH/LF/CF), Hays (LF/RF/CF), Stowers (RF/DH) and Mullins (CF) between these six giving them each a day off every six games.

You rotate.  None of those guys are hitting so well that you can’t rotate guys in and out of the lineup.  Stowers doesn’t have to play every single day.  If he plays 4 or 5 times a week, that is enough.

Guys are also hurt and days off will do them good.

Edited by Sports Guy

29 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Stowers will be up with the team for games played in Toronto, right? He can show whether he belongs in the Orioles roster in this game. 

The Mike Elias analytical department will surely weight a couple of games and maybe a dozen PAs appropriately.  Which is to say, not very much at all.

51 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

I know Akin and Santander couldn't enter Canada in June, but I'm pretty sure they became eligible when the Orioles last went in July. 

O's have only been to TOR once in June. Next week is the 2nd time they will be up there. Per the team, they are now both vaccinated and are eligible to play in Canada.

I think really we're just waiting on an injury. For now they seem content to go with who they have and add some elite defense with Phillips, who is now squarely on the bench with Hays back. 

I have to say I might prefer Vavra at DH to Stowers right now. Stowers is going to strike out a TON before he settles in. Vavra has needed virtually no settling in time. And there's not a lot of time left in the season. 

At the very least, Stowers will be on the roster in September. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

I have a hunch that this thread will have a different tone by Monday.

To be clear, this is RAMPANT speculation with not even the tiniest sliver of insider info.

But it's a good hunch.

Who do you think comes off the roster if you had to guess? 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think really we're just waiting on an injury. For now they seem content to go with who they have and add some elite defense with Phillips, who is now squarely on the bench with Hays back. 

I have to say I might prefer Vavra at DH to Stowers right now. Stowers is going to strike out a TON before he settles in. Vavra has needed virtually no settling in time. And there's not a lot of time left in the season. 

At the very least, Stowers will be on the roster in September. 

Spot on. It’s Vavra over Stowers right now. Getting into the Odor thing is just real deep. 

However, when rosters expand in September, I could see us going with Nottingham over Stowers if we’re only allowed to add one more pitcher. Nottingham is RH and allows us to PH for Chirinos. 

• Upvote 1