"It really shows that, as an organization, we know what we’re doing." Grayson Rodriguez

Gurgi

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/grayson-rodriguez-progresses-to-bullpen-sessions-and-remains-intent-on-pitching-again-in-2022

I am hearing these kind of quotes coming from our minor leagues players.  I really cant tell you how much it feels odd.  For decades the Orioles were always behind other teams in EVERYTHING.  

The Dominican Complex....the top ranked minor league system.  Other players saying they are getting better info and instruction from the Orioles than their previous organisations.   

I want to pinch myself.  "Can the Orioles actually be competent?"   

Before if I heard these type of quotes I would think maybe the player was being kind and diplomatic.   Now I think maybe they are being totally honest.  

"Maybe the Orioles do know what they are doing?"  It kind of seems a miracle.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm hoping that when Elias is plucked from the Orioles at some point that there is a succession plan in place so that the current instruction/training continues and develops even more.

Was just thinking ugh I hope we don’t need to deal with Duquette and Toronto all over again.

I knew he grew up in the area Alexandria VA and I believe he grew up as an O’s fan, can anyone attest to that? If so that’d seem to be a leg up on keeping him here so long as he was paid well and any significant competitor offer was met. I can’t see anything else being more appealing if he was an O’s fan growing up, the big city nature of going to a NY or LA team just doesn’t seem like it’s his cup of tea. 
I can’t get over the fact that he’s only 39. 

11 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm hoping that when Elias is plucked from the Orioles at some point that there is a succession plan in place so that the current instruction/training continues and develops even more.

I hope the Angelos family has the wherewithal to keep him here for a long time.  

I think Elias likes being the smartest guy in the room but he also strikes me as a guy who wants to remain on the cutting edge of advanced metrics/analytics and new ways to evaluate players.  He doesn't strike me as the type who would rest on his laurels.

He's done a great job getting this system to this point, he also has a long way to go to get this team to the promised land but he's WAY better than any GM we've had since Wren.  And Wren, IIRC, couldn't set the franchise up with talent in the minors the way Elias has.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I started a thread about Elias many months ago and it kinda got poo-poo'd, but the most important thing for ownership to do is to resign him. Others can get plucked. He needs to stay.

Excellent point. What’s his contract status? Orioles & Nationals ownership uncertainties having a detriment on both franchises. 

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope the Angelos family has the wherewithal to keep him here for a long time.  

I think Elias likes being the smartest guy in the room but he also strikes me as a guy who wants to remain on the cutting edge of advanced metrics/analytics and new ways to evaluate players.  He doesn't strike me as the type who would rest on his laurels.

He's done a great job getting this system to this point, he also has a long way to go to get this team to the promised land but he's WAY better than any GM we've had since Wren.  And Wren, IIRC, couldn't set the franchise up with talent in the minors the way Elias has.  

Agreed, Moose.   I'm hoping he loves his job and gets rewarded handsomely.  He's young, and some team may look to make him an offer he can't refuse...but I hope he stays in Baltimore.

The plan should be to secretly develop an artificially intelligent algorithm that we feed every move that Elias ever makes into so by the time he leaves, we can just introduce new data and it will spit out what Elias would do. Elias 2.0

Edited by oriole
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Agreed, Moose.   I'm hoping he loves his job and gets rewarded handsomely.  He's young, and some team may look to make him an offer he can't refuse...but I hope he stays in Baltimore.

I think he'll love his job anywhere he goes, but I hope that he will want to see it through here like he did in Houston.

It also remains to be seen if he can swing impactful trades and sign quality free agents.  There's no doubt he's adept at scouting and drafting and setting up an international presence, though.

26 minutes ago, ManciniFan said:

Excellent point. What’s his contract status? Orioles & Nationals ownership uncertainties having a detriment on both franchises. 

No clue, but the standard 5 year contract, if that's what he got, would have a little over 1 more year in it I think. 

• Upvote 1