Thursday afternoon 8/18 Makeup Game: Orioles try to sweep season series from Cubs

SteveA

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

I really wish we got to see the extra angles that NY gets to see.

Yeah, the slow-mo reviews MASN was giving us were too close to tell. But the play seemed clear enough that the league office might have been able to freeze frame exactly when either the tag was applied or the glove touched home.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Orioles can't scratch out a few runs today they deserve to lose and it's about time to shake up the lineup. 

There will be no stirring up the line up until some arb time that Elias wants.  Right after the trading of Mancini when they brought over Phillips........that really was the proof we really are not trying to win.  Elias will be happy with winning be he isnt going to do a single thing to make it any easier.   Nothing is being done to make for this season.  If we win it is just lucky.   Thats the way Elias is working things.  Nothing outside the preseason plans.    

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

There will be no stirring up the line up until some arb time that Elias wants.  Right after the trading of Mancini when they brought over Phillips........that really was the proof we really are not trying to win.  Elias will be happy with winning be he isnt going to do a single thing to make it any easier.   Nothing is being done to make for this season.  If we win it is just lucky.   Thats the way Elias is working things.  Nothing outside the preseason plans.    

You're right, I'm thinking through it from the perspective of someone who wants to compete for the wildcard. Elias is going to stick to his plan and not deviate from it even if it means missing out this year.

With the news of Gunnar playing 1B today for Norfolk it does give a little hope that maybe a couple players will get called up for the stretch run. 

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I think you're right that the front office isn't deviating at all from what they would've done even if this team was way out of the race. And I'm fine with that from the perspective of trading aging veterans for promising prospects, a la trading Mancini and Lopez. We need to bring pitching talent into the organization somehow, and it doesn't make sense to neglect that for the purposes of going all in this year.

But I don't think AAA guys should be held back if they could be helping the big league club right now. We're not tanking anymore for draft picks, the morale boost from making the playoffs isn't insignificant, and there are always ways to "fix" having less control over a player years down the line.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I think you're right that the front office isn't deviating at all from what they would've done even if this team was way out of the race. And I'm fine with that from the perspective of trading aging veterans for promising prospects, a la trading Mancini and Lopez. We need to bring pitching talent into the organization somehow, and it doesn't make sense to neglect that for the purposes of going all in this year.

But I don't think AAA guys should be held back if they could be helping the big league club right now. We're not tanking anymore for draft picks, the morale boost from making the playoffs isn't insignificant, and there are always ways to "fix" having less control over a player years down the line.

I think they are putting value on manipulating the clocks of players.    Bringing in Phillips was just a slap in the face of fans who are hoping to win this year.   We will have to try to win with one hand tied behind our back.   

This is just a shame.   Maybe we could let Elias run the team until August 1st and let Buck Showalter run the team after.  Because no way Buck Showalter would be trotting out this crap team if he had Gunnar sitting in AAA.   Buck would of brought him probably a month ago.   

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

We need an infusion of hitting talent NOW. I really don't think making the playoffs is that important but I don't think playing service time games on guys that are clearly ready is important either. Release Nevin, Phillips now. Promote Gunner and Stowers

We almost got no hit two time lately. our lineup is D.O.A.