Diaz up as 27th man for today's game

accinfo

Just read on my Roto free agent transactions that Diaz is up as the 27th man for the game today.  Since this isn't a double header I am not sure why there is a 27th man. 

08.21... Yusniel Diaz will serve as the Orioles 27th man for Sunday's contest against the Red Sox in the Little League Classic. 
Spin: Diaz will join the Orioles for as they take on the Red Sox for the Little League Classic held in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The 25-year-old outfielder is hitting .238/.327/.343 with four homers and seven steals across 196 plate appearances in Triple-A

13 hours ago, Jagwar said:

What is his status for next season? Is Diaz free to sign wherever he wants?

I believe he's a six year minor league free agent.  As someone who turns 26 in October and has a career AAA OPS of .569 I don't know what would be next for him.  At this point he doesn't look like a MLB player at all.  Maybe somewhere like Korea, or an indy league?

Edited by DrungoHazewood

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I believe he's a six year minor league free agent.  As someone who turns 26 in October and has a career AAA OPS of .569 I don't know what would be next for him.  At this point he doesn't look like a MLB player at all.  Maybe somewhere like Korea, or an indy league?

He's earned enough he shouldn't have to play.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

$15.5M to sign out of Cuba seven years ago, right?  How much of that do think he still has? Anybody know what he drives? Hopefully he was smart about it.

When it's 15.5M you don't really have to be smart about it, just not stupid.

That's enough money to give you a buffer for a few bad decisions and impulse buys.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's enough money to give you a buffer for a few bad decisions and impulse buys.

Should be.  Let's say he keeps $10M after taxes.  Spends or gives away $5M, remittances back home.  Puts the other $5M in some kind of relatively conservative investment making 5% a year.  That means with a bit of self restraint he could live on $250k a year indefinitely.  That's not too bad.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I agree with this.   He is on the 40 man roster but the O's probably DFA him between now and November to clear roster space.  Once that happens he either gets claimed or pass through to Norfolk.   He has never been outrighted so he has be accept the assignment if he was not claimed.   But he does have 6 year minor league rights so he can opt to become a minor league free agent.

That the long way to say what you said in one short sentence.

Edited by wildcard

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Should be.  Let's say he keeps $10M after taxes.  Spends or gives away $5M, remittances back home.  Puts the other $5M in some kind of relatively conservative investment making 5% a year.  That means with a bit of self restraint he could live on $250k a year indefinitely.  That's not too bad.

In what world does he net $10 mm after taxes? Especially if he was an employee of a California based team?

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

There’s plenty of athletes who have burned through $100M+ and end up having to downsize their lifestyle in retirement. Not saying Diaz has gone through all his money, but between taxes and his agent at best he’s been able to keep 2/3rd’s of his money as a starting point. 

Hopefully Diaz has a decent financial advisor/accountant. 

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah but did he owe someone bigtime for smuggling him out of Cuba?   That happens.   No idea if it was the case for him.