“First Name” players

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Apart from accomplishments, for talking about Orioles on the board, I try for Dow Jones type labeling - whatever's fewer letters and/or is a better unique identifier.   

I think you got it, fewer syllables/simplicty seems to be determinative in most cases. In terms of distinctiveness/coolness, Manny could have gone either way with Machado but Manny is fewer syllables, so Manny it is.

The exception is if one of the names is super generic it just can't stick, so you get Delmon despite the extra syllable. Then again, Adam was still a Jones or Jonesy. 

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

We'll see. Given the amount of pushback on GRod and the lack of support for SonGuez, I could see Grayson getting heavy play.

The first letter - first syllable nickname is an artifice of the 90s and is in decline. Not sure what his thoughts are on the matter though.

I do think GRod has entrenched itself just enough that it will cut into Grayson's market share such that he doesn't quite join the pantheon of first-name only players. Either way, he doesn't feel like a Rodriguez.

5 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I do think GRod has entrenched itself just enough that it will cut into Grayson's market share such that he doesn't quite join the pantheon of first-name only players. Either way, he doesn't feel like a Rodriguez.

Is that verbalized as Gee-Rod or grod? I don't like either personally. I'm going with Grayson. 

Adley will be Adley because his darn last name. Manny was just Manny. Gunnar and Grayson will both be single name players. DL Hall, Stowers, and Vavra, won’t be. 

I also think Jackson Holliday will be too. 

We’re like a trendy baby name book from the 2000’s with Adley, Grayson, Gunnar, and Jackson. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Adley will be Adley because his darn last name. Manny was just Manny. Gunnar and Grayson will both be single name players. DL Hall, Stowers, and Vavra, won’t be. 

I also think Jackson Holliday will be too. 

We’re like a trendy baby name book from the 2000’s with Adley, Grayson, Gunnar, and Jackson. 

I don't even know Hall's first name.

I wasn’t a local (or Oriole fan) back when Davey Johnson played here but he certainly was referred to as “Davey” when he returned as manager.

I think “Cedric” will eventually overtake “Mullins” the longer he has a successful career here.

Loved the interview with Eddie in the TV booth with Kevin Brown and Ben McDonald during the 30th anniversary game.  He twice gave a shout out to “Alvin” (Jim Palmer) who was absent.

Edited by JimGinSP