Mike Trout to the Orioles?

vab

Elias has stated he sees the Orioles as a draft and develop team.  Using our slightly better financial situation as compared to Tampa to perhaps keep some of our talent.   I do not get the idea he would ever trade for a guy over 30 with health questions and a huge contract hanging around his neck.   

I just cant see Elias ever making this trade.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Nats had to trade Soto.  They sucked, org going nowhere and he was pretty clear about not signing long term.

The Angels don’t have to trade Trout as they have him long term.  

Hmm, okay.  I think that his age puts them on a clock with regard to trading him and getting a premium return back.  I don't see the Angels being a playoff team in the next 2-3 years without making a few trades, and once you get past that point I think his trade value will dry up quickly.  Their farm system is pretty dry.  Maybe they trade Ohtani instead to kick start their rebuild.

10 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Really?  I disagree here, but this is pretty subjective so we'll agree to disagree.

I am curious why you think the Angels have more leverage.  They are facing an ownership change and have major issues up and down the organization.

Exactly. You can't evaluate a potential Trout trade without all of the variables:

1. Change of ownership, wishes of new ownership group, value of sale, etc.

2. Failing org top to bottom.

3. Expensive Contract

4. Declining value/health issues.

Essentially, #1 will drive the future direction. They may go full rebuild or look to bring in better people, supplement Trout/Ohtani and try to win sooner.

It's impossible to know what they'll do, but MLB Network did say that if they trade Trout now, they'd be doing it for pennies on the dollar. So take that for what it's worth.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But there are teams that could offer half that package and $200M.

What's the largest cash considerations trade that MLB has approved?  I can't find any examples that exchange more than around 20 million or so, but it's really hard to search for this without any dedicated trade app.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

Hmm, okay.  I think that his age puts them on a clock with regard to trading him and getting a premium return back.  I don't see the Angels being a playoff team in the next 2-3 years without making a few trades, and once you get past that point I think his trade value will dry up quickly.  Their farm system is pretty dry.  Maybe they trade Ohtani instead to kick start their rebuild.

Right..they trade Ohtani to jump start things.  They can certainly try to move Trout but he isn’t going to bring back what they want right now.

Now, next offseason, if he has a big 2023 and is healthy enough, they may get that huge deal.

Right now, the Angels would only seal Trout if they got a big offer, which isn’t coming.  Otherwise, they keep him because they can for a long time.

That is leverage.  The Nats could have kept Soto for a little while longer but he was gone soon.  His value wasn’t getting better for them than it was at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Exactly. You can't evaluate a potential Trout trade without all of the variables:

1. Change of ownership, wishes of new ownership group, value of sale, etc.

2. Failing org top to bottom.

3. Expensive Contract

4. Declining value/health issues.

Essentially, #1 will drive the future direction. They may go full rebuild or look to bring in better people, supplement Trout/Ohtani and try to win sooner.

It's impossible to know what they'll do, but MLB Network did say that if they trade Trout now, they'd be doing it for pennies on the dollar. So take that for what it's worth.

Of course..which is why they won’t deal him and have the leverage to keep him.

If they want to dump him, the teams will be lined up for him despite the back.  

Does it make the team more attractive to buyers with Ohtani and Trout on the roster or gone?  I figure the Angels will do whatever helps their sale price.   IF the answer is to trade them I could see them both go this offseason.  I think Ohtani gets the most return.   Trout I think will have to be a special team that does not care about the massive contract.  I think Trout will go to a major market team.  Like the Dodgers or the NY teams.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..they trade Ohtani to jump start things.  They can certainly try to move Trout but he isn’t going to bring back what they want right now.

Now, next offseason, if he has a big 2023 and is healthy enough, they may get that huge deal.

Right now, the Angels would only seal Trout if they got a big offer, which isn’t coming.  Otherwise, they keep him because they can for a long time.

That is leverage.  The Nats could have kept Soto for a little while longer but he was gone soon.  His value wasn’t getting better for them than it was at the deadline.

I can squint hard enough to see this one.  But I think any leverage they have will evaporate quickly after the 2023 offseason, and there are a lot of possible futures that don't see Trout with increased trade value in the 2023 offseason.  His injury risk isn't going away, and he's going to be another year past the wrong side of 30.

I can squint hard enough to see this one.  But I think any leverage they have will evaporate quickly after the 2023 offseason, and there are a lot of possible futures that don't see Trout with increased trade value in the 2023 offseason.  His injury risk isn't going away, and he's going to be another year past the wrong side of 30.

They have him signed for like 8 years.  They don’t have to move him.  That doesn’t go away.

I really feel for the Angel fans.  Having two of the best players in the game and your team just sucks year after year.  And now they have this ownership issue coming up.   

An issue Baltimore will likely have in the next couple of years.  

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Does it make the team more attractive to buyers with Ohtani and Trout on the roster or gone?  I figure the Angels will do whatever helps their sale price.   IF the answer is to trade them I could see them both go this offseason.  I think Ohtani gets the most return.   Trout I think will have to be a special team that does not care about the massive contract.  I think Trout will go to a major market team.  Like the Dodgers or the NY teams.  

I think the team may be more attractive to buyers without a 300 million contractual obligation.  You'd have to weigh that against the wins Trout provides (and the butts he puts in seats.)  Ohtani is more about player value and less about financial value, he's got 1 more year of arbitration that will probably get him in the 25-35 million range, but after that they have no further obligations to him.  The financial obligations are significant, but short-term.

This kind of speculative article tells me two things.

1 - We have desirable players that other teams covet.

2 - Our farm system has players that want to take a chance on.

Reading the tea leaves of what these articles mean in reality to us.  We're doing very good.  We need to keep to the path, however, and not get bogged down by taking on payroll for teams who are likely entering the kind of rebuild that we are still in the midst of.  Trout is one of those.  Pass.

What do you think happens?  I am starting to get the feeling both might go in the offseason.   Does anyone know if Trout has a no trade clause?  I assume he has veto rights?  

If you were Trout and knew you were never going to win in California what would you do?  I think I would agree to go to some major market team.