Flashback: Baltimore Sun article on me and the Hangout

Tony-OH

This doesn’t belong on the main board, it should be moved to rants and raves or something. 
Im joking around. I don’t recall that article, thanks for sharing. I’m feeling old that it has been this long. I’m sure it has been a tumultuous journey, however more rewarding this year with the decent team and exceptional farm system.  

• Upvote 1

I’m sure that your tour of duty has increased your love for kebabs.  There are a bunch where I live in HoCo!!!

And I do love kebabs, though my taste for lamb kebabs is not as intense as for chicken kebabs.  So I will stay a typical American who does not love the traditional kebabs as much as the American-modified (eg, chicken) kebabs.😜

• Haha 1

Tony, thank you for your service. Even if you are an "Army guy."😉

The early years of the Hangout were absolutely trend setting. First and foremost the message board was moderated with an emphasis on respect, civility and camaraderie. If you were lucky enough to know about OH and read the content, you were "in the know." This is still the best message board in sports media. I hope that one day you get a chance to tell the story of the Hangout and how it came to be. There has got to be some historian somewhere who wants to tell that story. You, sir, are a sports media icon. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I’m sure that your tour of duty has increased your love for kebabs.  There are a bunch where I live in HoCo!!!

And I do love kebabs, though my taste for lamb kebabs is not as intense as for chicken kebabs.  So I will stay a typical American who does not love the traditional kebabs as much as the American-modified (eg, chicken) kebabs.😜

Actually there's a story in my book about kebabs when I went out on a HUMINT mission in the Bamian province. 

I do love them, but the funny part was when the little kid came in from outside with the Naan for the table. He had the dirtiest hands you ever saw and when he put the Naan on the table, we all went in to grab the middle pieces! lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Tony, thank you for your service. Even if you are an "Army guy."😉

The early years of the Hangout were absolutely trend setting. First and foremost the message board was moderated with an emphasis on respect, civility and camaraderie. If you were lucky enough to know about OH and read the content, you were "in the know." This is still the best message board in sports media. I hope that one day you get a chance to tell the story of the Hangout and how it came to be. There has got to be some historian somewhere who wants to tell that story. You, sir, are a sports media icon. 

Thank you, I appreciate it. I've always just done what I thought was best and always had good people to help me out when I was in away while serving with guys like Rich Legendre, John Doman, Scott Hoffman pulling big roles while I was in Afghanistan and Iraq and then of course Michael Williams for so many years before his passing last year.

While it's clear the new organization leadership and PR department does not appreciate me or the Hangout, I'm more proud that Hangouters like yourself do. In the end, that's what this site was always about.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s interesting to reflect on that period in world affairs and OH history.   Thanks for republishing the article.    And, as always, thanks for your service. 

Its crazy to think it's almost 20 years ago at this point.