Hall & Aguilar Added to 28-man Roster; Richie Martin DFA'd

86this

I liked Richie. 🤷‍♂️ 

He was a safe Rule 5 pick from Elias, who got here, took a look at the SS options in the system, and promptly had a mild stroke. I think Richie was a pure need pick for SS depth. I can't even remember who was playing SS at the time for the big league club. 

As a depth utility piece I thought he was fine, but his swing was clearly broken and he went through at least 3 iterations of it while he was here. He was having a nice season in AAA for awhile this year and I thought maybe something clicked. But I think he's going to be that AAAA injury-replacement SS guy. 

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I liked Richie. 🤷‍♂️ 

He was a safe Rule 5 pick from Elias, who got here, took a look at the SS options in the system, and promptly had a mild stroke. I think Richie was a pure need pick for SS depth. I can't even remember who was playing SS at the time for the big league club. 

As a depth utility piece I thought he was fine, but his swing was clearly broken and he went through at least 3 iterations of it while he was here. He was having a nice season in AAA for awhile this year and I thought maybe something clicked. But I think he's going to be that AAAA injury-replacement SS guy. 

The biggest issue with Martin was his defense was never good enough to play SS every day at the big league level. If his defense was more consistent, you could live with the bat as a utility player, but he just makes too many easy errors in the field. Add in his penchant for bad base running despite being pretty fast, and you just have a guy who is not a consistent major league baseball player. 

The writing is on the wall with Martin. He almost assuredly will sign with another team at the end of the year (or earlier if the team just releases him after he clear waivers) as a minor league free agent with the glut of infielders who have surpassed him in the system.

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

Aguilar starting already against a righty. Seems like the O’s like him better than Stowers.  

I'm definitely questioning this one. I thought he was brought in just to take Nevin's spot and insurance should Mountcastle deteriorate. DH vs RHP is not what I had in mind. Only thing I can think of is Bieber has reverse splits this year (but not for his career), but then why are Hays and Mateo on the bench?  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm definitely questioning this one. I thought he was brought in just to take Nevin's spot and insurance should Mountcastle deteriorate. DH vs RHP is not what I had in mind. Only thing I can think of is Bieber has reverse splits this year (but not for his career), but then why are Hays and Mateo on the bench?  

Pretty sure that Elias got in hot water with the Venezuelan junta who are blackmailing him to play Odor, Chirinos, Santander and Aguilar...

On a more serious note, Hays has seemed banged up for weeks and when was the last time Mateo got a day off? Gotta pick a day at some point and given how Bieber has pitched, we seem like longshots winning this game no matter what so I don't mind it.