Orioles Adley problem

seak05

I feel like every game is a massive struggle to score runs regardless of who we have in there. It isn't like we have Arenado and Goldschmidt in the lineup every day, where giving them a rest would really limit the lineup.  Feels like we can rest just about everyone and replace them with someone else with a near equivalent OBP. Adley because of his superior batting eye and Gunnar because he just came up are a little different.  But we should in theory be able to rest people regularly because it just feels like there is a relatively small dropoff to the next guy when anyone takes a day off.  I would like to see Adley get more rest though. He is too important to wear out.

Honestly, I feel Hyde has done a really good job with Rutschman.  He’s started 62 of 91 games at C.   That’s a 110-game pace over a full season.  He’s started 17 at DH, on pace for 30 games over a full year.  I think that’s very balanced.  And I’ll do my best not to get old school grumpy and point out how Yadier Molina started 130+ games at catcher 7 times in his career and is still playing at age 39.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I feel Hyde has done a really good job with Rutschman.  He’s started 62 of 91 games at C.   That’s a 110-game pace over a full season.  He’s started 17 at DH, on pace for 30 games over a full year.  I think that’s very balanced.  And I’ll do my best not to get old school grumpy and point out how Yadier Molina started 130+ games at catcher 7 times in his career and is still playing at age 39.

I am not sure Yadier Molina is human.  Going to be amazing to watch the Mets dream season ended by the Cardinals in the NLDS and their 4 hall of famers in the lineup....plus Wainwright, who could pitch effectively into his 60s if he wanted.

I saw a tweet yesterday, thought it was from Nathan Ruiz but can't locate it today.

But the gist of it was that since the day Adley came up, he had caught the 3rd most times of any C in MLB.  The two ahead of him were Cal Raleigh and (can't remember).

If you add in games he DH&d, he was also 3rd most of all Vs, but the two guys in front of him were different... Realmuto and (I can't remember).

46 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has rested or DHed on a regular basis. I have no idea what this tweet is referring to unless he means simply that Adley is really good and we don't have a great backup C. That is a problem any team would like to have.

I think this may be it. Looking for a fatigue factor, I was looking at how many games he played in the Minors last year and it was 123. Not sure how many were at catcher. The other 8 batters (not named Gunnar) overall have struggled vs. the same pitchers.

This year, he had 20 Minor League games, some probably DH as part of rehab for the injury. This year, he's had 68 games catching in Baltimore out of the 83 he's played in since May 21. 17 were as DH. He's pinch hit twice that I know of, once in July to help beat Rays in extra innings in Tampa and then last night. 

Adding in however many he caught in the Minors this year plus his Orioles work load (and factoring in days off and DH from here on), it doesn't look like he'll catch  more games this year than he did in the Minors in '21. 

Edited by NashLumber
links

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What percentage of games has he either DH'd or sat compared to other catchers around the league?

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has rested or DHed on a regular basis. I have no idea what this tweet is referring to unless he means simply that Adley is really good and we don't have a great backup C. That is a problem any team would like to have.

This is addressed in another tweet in the thread, I just didn't copy all of them. The two catchers with more games caught then Adley, don't DH or PH

- For a similar age catcher who also DH's Kirk in Toronto has started 64 games at catcher (and 67 total), while playing in 116 games

- Adley is at 62 games started at catcher (and 68 total) while appearing in 83 

I would think a competent backup would be a high priority this offseason. Molina aside, you probably want to be able to keep Adley fresher for postseason games. 

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I saw a tweet yesterday, thought it was from Nathan Ruiz but can't locate it today.

But the gist of it was that since the day Adley came up, he had caught the 3rd most times of any C in MLB.  The two ahead of him were Cal Raleigh and (can't remember).

If you add in games he DH&d, he was also 3rd most of all Vs, but the two guys in front of him were different... Realmuto and (I can't remember).

Here's that tweet.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, basically the guys who catch as often as Adley don't DH on their days off. The catchers who are in the lineup as often as Adley, don't catch as often/DH more often