This is my favorite Oriole team ever

DocJJ

10 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I've been a fan since 1977 when I was 8 years old.   I've had my share of great Oriole teams over the years- the 1979 and 83 teams were fun.  The 1989 Why Not team was fun.  The 1996 team and the 2012 and 2014 teams were nice (even though they broke my heart!)

But there's just something about this team...  !

First, they have vastly exceeded expectations.  Obviously, they were expected to be another last-place team at the beginning of the year. 

They have a ton of youth and youthful exuberance.

Many guys have outperformed even modest expectations- most of the starting pitchers, in particular.

The bullpen has been rock solid all season.

The rookie call ups have supplied energy and ability.

They've had a ton of late inning heroics, highlight reel defensive plays, and just well-played games almost every night.  

The offense is streaky and I wish it was a bit more consistent... but I think I've enjoyed watching this team as much as any Oriole team I can remember.... They have been so much fun to watch!

Agreed!

I just wish they would sit Odor. It's frankly astonishing that he plays more often and is pinch hit for less than any other player. I am so sick of watching him flail at the plate and listening to Jim Palmer talk about how good he is at turning double plays as if that's a justification for plugging his 0.1 WAR into the lineup every day.

Other than that, I have no complaints about this team.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, cacavolante said:

I love this team. But its not even close to 89 imo. 

For me it is, and I loved the ‘89 team. It’s never really occurred to me to pick a favorite between the two, but the preceding year was even worse with this team. And the future prognosis is better with this team. Both teams wildly exceeded expectations and were a thrill to watch. No matter, I’m just fully appreciating the moment. This is special. 

6 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Jolly Olive giving this team some love on YouTube.  He highlights why Odor isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

Thanks of posting this video, I've only watched the first few minutes so far and it's good.

There aren't many baseball Youtubers I'm aware of and I'm going to start paying attention to this channel. 

• Upvote 1

I try not to compare my love for the teams because I'm old and I've seen so many special teams in my lifetime. '66 will always be hard to beat. '69-'71 will always be special. Fond memories of '79 & '83. '82 was super special, especially that last Milwaukee series. '12 was particularly satisfying. But '89? Wow, that was something else. I'll have to agree that season was especially joyful! But I'll never forget the crushing heartbreak I felt when we were eliminated by the Blue Jays on that last weekend - especially after leading 3-1 going into the bottom of the eighth. I'm still not over it. That one hurt more than any other sports loss in my life including three World Series losses, two Super Bowl losses and five NCAA Basketball Tournament Championship game losses. I was just so invested in that club after what happened in '88. But this season ranks right up there with the best of them. I can only dream of what it could have been like had Adley not got hurt in the preseason and had started the season with the team. I believe we would be in first place right now.

2 hours ago, bluedog said:

Agreed!

I just wish they would sit Odor. It's frankly astonishing that he plays more often and is pinch hit for less than any other player. I am so sick of watching him flail at the plate and listening to Jim Palmer talk about how good he is at turning double plays as if that's a justification for plugging his 0.1 WAR into the lineup every day.

Other than that, I have no complaints about this team.

We get it but why in this thread?   Pretty poor.