O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 23

bigbird

You don't want to start his service clock in a lost season? You just contradicted yourself. If it's a lost season wouldn't we be playing the youngsters to see what they can do?

I know he is a prized prospect, but you can not honestly expect him to come up at the start of 2010 and win 15 games just like that.

He's only talking about keeping him down until after the FA Service Deadline on April 15th.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bigbird again."

Thanks, BB.

Quite a mixed bag of (possibly) good news and (possibly) bad news.

Interesting that Arrieta may be with the ML club (showcasing?). Either way, his possible inclusion is a step in the "play the young guys" direction.

Barring trades, the signing of Hinske along with the inability to sign good starters means two things:

1) 13 pitchers and 12 position players.

2) Montanez starts the year at AAA because there is not room for him.

1B Hinske

2b Roberts

ss Izturis

3b Mora

c Zaun

dh Huff

lf Scott

cf Jones

rf Markakis

Moeller at c, Freel at 2b/ss/3b/of and Salazar at 1b/2b/3b/dh

A few pitching and catching tidbits. As usual read into this as little or ad much as you want. With the current offers we have on the table the chances of landing a couple starting pitchers does not look good. One year offers with incentives (similar to Hendrickson) are on the table for both Japanese pitchers and Redding. A two year offer is there for Looper. My guy feels Arrieta may start the season in Baltimore.

For catching it seems like Zaun is getting close though the Japanese catcher will be considered if we sign their pitching. That seems to be the reason for the delay.

He has never heard interest in Sexson mentioned and still thinks Hinske will be on the team.

He also does not think we'll spend any money on multi year free agents.

I asked if he heard anything about a possible sale of the team and he said yes. No names. He wonders if PGA is in the best of health.

The ideas that the Orioles are looking to do a lot of 1 or 2 year deals plays into the idea of keeping warm bodies on the field until the prospects are ready. It also plays into the idea that a sale may be on the horizon.

I can't imagine that there would not be serious consequences if you leaked this kind of information. No way would the Buyer want you around. Nor the Seller. I think it's interesting that the source would say anything at all.

Thanks for the update, BB.

I understand they do not want guys like Looper, Hendrickson, and the Japanese guys blocking the young guys in 2011 but you have to wonder what PGA's motivation is in our silence.

The problem with this line of thinking is assuming that the Big Three will all be healthy and productive and make it to the majors by 2011.

A signing of Kawakami and Sheets/Wolf to 2-3 year deals each for example would negate some of that risk just in case one or two of the Big Three doesn't pan out...

Barring trades, the signing of Hinske along with the inability to sign good starters means two things:

1B Hinske

2b Roberts

ss Izturis

3b Mora

c Zaun

dh Huff

lf Scott

cf Jones

rf Markakis

I'm afraid you may be right about the 13 pitchers (@#%&!).

But I'm also afraid the bench might instead be Moeller, Freel and Murphy (or facsimile). No Salazar.

That would be in keeping with the impressive benches of year's past :D

The problem with this line of thinking is assuming that the Big Three will all be healthy and productive and make it to the majors by 2011.

A signing of Kawakami and Sheets/Wolf to 2-3 year deals each for example would negate some of that risk just in case one or two of the Big Three doesn't pan out...

While I agree with you, I don't think we have a remote shot at Ben Sheets. Kawakami probably isn't more than a 1-2 year option, at best.

What risk would Kawakami or Wolf on a 2-year deal be mitigating? If they are cheap, I'd be fine with having them, but these guys are purely stop gaps. They won't be helping on any sort of winning Orioles team, they'd just be filler until younger guys are ready. I'm fine with filler, but it should be cheap, not $8-10M a year. If Kawakami or Wolf come down to a 2/$12M deal or something like that, then fine, but if not, I'll stick with the Tim Reddings of the world.

I disregarded Sheets because I don't think he's similar to Kawakami or Wolf. They are at different levels. If Sheets can be had for something in the 3/$39M range or less, I'm fine with spending the money on him. Even if we aren't ready to compete now, I have a hard time turning down a reasonable deal for elite level talent.

Guys, with this rumor of a sale - please let us be VERY careful with this stuff.

Internet rumors, especially Orioles rumors on this board, can take on a life of their own. And when, hopefully if, the media gets a hold of them it can make a lot of people look really bad.

As for everything else, Arrieta will have to play his way on to the team, but I think he can do it. Remember not many people were worried about Markakis' "service clock" if Arrieta plays his way on to the team let him start.

Hope we land one of those Japanese pitchers. I understand the logic behind the offer but I would have given them a second year.

1B Hinske

2b Roberts

ss Izturis

3b Mora

c Zaun

dh Huff

lf Scott

cf Jones

rf Markakis

Freel doesn't play SS.

I really don't get the idea of signing Hinske. Why not have Salazar AND Montanez on the team to play 1B/DH? If one of them fail, then you have Reimold in AAA.

Guys, with this rumor of a sale - please let us be VERY careful with this stuff.

Internet rumors, especially Orioles rumors on this board, can take on a life of their own. And when, hopefully if, the media gets a hold of them it can make a lot of people look really bad.

As for everything else, Arrieta will have to play his way on to the team, but I think he can do it. Remember not many people were worried about Markakis' "service clock" if Arrieta plays his way on to the team let him start.

Hope we land one of those Japanese pitchers. I understand the logic behind the offer but I would have given them a second year.

Oh I'm sure Roch is checking with the Warehouse as we speak... :laughlol:

Anyway there are rumors of a sale, just no timetable. I think we all know that Angelos isn't getting any younger, and it seems his win now philosophy has suddenly been replaced. And one of the reasons that makes sense is that he is readying the team for sale.

Archived