Mountcastle and Hayes

Etch

This was just on the game broadcast so I'm sure people saw it...

Mountcastle has the Largest Gap in the entire MLB between SLG and xSLG.

.424 SLG and a .515 xSLG for a difference of -.091

That F7 last night should've been a HR and you can see his absolute frustration.

Edited by Ripken
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ripken said:

That F7 last night should've been a HR and you can see his absolute frustration.

This is why I believe Mountcastle has trade value this offseason. He is more valuable on another team. I am a Mountcastle fan as I think he could win a GG and hit 30 HRs a year in a smaller park.

If I'm Elias I'm trying to use Mountcastle, Santander, and some prospects to find a polished pitcher to add to the top of the rotation. With the emergence of Bradish, I believe the O's confidently start ST with GrayRod, Bradish, Kremer, and Wells in the rotation. Add another through a trade where Elias does all he can to hold onto Mullins(he might have to trade him to get that arm) and use Mountcastle/Santander as a base.

I think Hays has been playing hurt for much of the season and starts in our OF next year hopefully healthy. He could be a rebound candidate or a place holder with Cowser coming.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ripken said:

It has to be getting to him mentally on some level.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It has to be getting to him mentally on some level.

Agreed, which isn't helping either.  If his xSLG were his actual SLG, he'd be well over 800 OPS right now.  Would we be happy with a 25 y/o 1B with good defense and an 840 OPS?  I would.  

Edited by Ripken

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gold Gloves for first baseman are kinda wonky.

Who would you say the best defensive first baseman is in the AL?

I'll admit to not having a good guess.

When you look at OAA for 1B, only former Orioles farmhand Christian Walker stands out. then there is group clumped together between 5 and 2 OAA with Mountcastle being at 2.

Mountcastle is very good going to his glove side where he's been worth 3 OAA, but he's -1 going to his right towards 2B.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I realize he’s been unlucky but he hit 33 homers last year and he was still not great.  His defense is okay.  A gold glove?     

His defense is much better this year than last year.  He’s made several really nice diving stops of balls headed down the RF line and in the hole, is better at running down foul pops in short RF, and is better with scoops, though I still occasionally see him botch one he should make.   Is he a gold glove candidate?   I’d say not yet, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility in the future.  He’s still not good at DP feeds, and as a RH 1B, has a natural disadvantage there in addition to not having a very good arm.  

As to his offense, the new wall has taken away some homers but he’s also had a ton of near-misses all over the ballpark, home and away.   I definitely expect the SLG/xSLG gap to close significantly next year, though probably not all the way if he’s still an Oriole and playing half his games at OPACY.  

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His defense is much better this year than last year.  He’s made several really nice diving stops of balls headed down the RF line and in the hole, is better at running down foul pops in short RF, and is better with scoops, though I still occasionally see him botch one he should make.   Is he a gold glove candidate?   I’d say not yet, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility in the future.  He’s still not good at DP feeds, and as a RH 1B, has a natural disadvantage there in addition to not having a very good arm.  

As to his offense, the new wall has taken away some homers but he’s also had a ton of near-misses all over the ballpark, home and away.   I definitely expect the SLG/xSLG gap to close significantly next year, though probably not all the way if he’s still an Oriole and playing half his games at OPACY.  

I'll bow to the statistics but I don't think Mountcastle is anything but average at 1B and he's definitely not smooth.   What you call a dive, I call him falling down and stretching out (for balls in the hole).   I don't think he's particularly agile or has good hands.   That's my opinion from watching him on a daily basis.   He doesn't hurt you over there and he's gotten better.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gold Gloves for first baseman are kinda wonky.

Who would you say the best defensive first baseman is in the AL?

I'll admit to not having a good guess.

That's true.  Is there a Keith Hernandez or Don Mattingly in either league?   Probably not.