Eliminated

SteveA

I'm ready for pitchers and catchers.  

After our terrible early season I was prepared for the worst.  The best I hoped for after that was .500.  I really have been sweating out 81.  Beating out Boston with their jillion dollar payroll, and nasty fans, is a BIG plus for me.  

My beloved Orange will go 5-0 this afternoon.  

Life is good.  

Edited by Baltimorecuse
spelling

Such a great season, even if no playoffs.  

O's are in a great place going into the offseason: MLB Roster and minors loaded with controllable talent. A low payroll. Cash to spend.  

This is the offseason to make some splashes and get positioned for a pennant chase in 2023.  Let's go O's!

6 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I just have to say once again that the tie breaker stuff is horrible. Only Rob Manfred could look at classic Games 163 like Yankees-Red Sox '78 and Tigers-Twins '09 and think, "Wouldn't it be better if those races were just decided by head-to-head record?"

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Exactly.  Who doesn't love a Game 163?

I get this sentiment but it puts the team that wins that game at a competitive disadvantage right away. The playoffs start Friday. You play 163 on Thursday and then bam you are in a 3 game series. The sport also extended the playoffs by one team. So the only way 163 would even matter would be obviously if the 6/7 seeds are tied. Of course if this year the Braves and Mets tie no 163 either. 

Fun team. Surprising season. Playing meaningful games in September is a treat. I think giving Gunnar, Vavra, Adley and Stowers the experience of what it takes to grind in September is invaluable. The same goes for D.L. Hall, Mateo and all the other guys who did not have the opportunity to experience winning, and in this case losing, in September. 

I agree with FRobby. This team could easily fall backward in 2023. Big offseason coming for the FO.

48 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm ready for pitchers and catchers.  

After our terrible early season I was prepared for the worst.  The best I hoped for after that was .500.  I really have been sweating out 81.  Beating out Boston with their jillion dollar payroll, and nasty fans, is a BIG plus for me.  

My beloved Orange will go 5-0 this afternoon.  

Life is good.  

If you just jinxed them, it is all in you.  I don’t care a lick About ‘cuse, but I would never say such a thing in advance of a game.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m ready for the offseason to start.

This is going to be a fascinating offseason.

Every time I have thought that, the offseason has been less than fascinating lol.

An excellent season, but has some outlier qualities like 1989. The reality is the lineup and rotation for 2023 will be markedly different and while we all hope that means markedly better performances, baseball doesn’t always follow the “process”.

But we are in good shape to get to the next levels. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I get this sentiment but it puts the team that wins that game at a competitive disadvantage right away. The playoffs start Friday. You play 163 on Thursday and then bam you are in a 3 game series. The sport also extended the playoffs by one team. So the only way 163 would even matter would be obviously if the 6/7 seeds are tied. Of course if this year the Braves and Mets tie no 163 either. 

Yeah, I really don't care about it being harder for the winning team of a Game 163.

32 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Agreed. If Elias says the money spigot will open, I'm ready to see results. 

I think it would be prudent to temper expectations here.  

We'd all like to see them spend money (YES, @Pickles, that means spend money wisely).  Elias said he wants to spend money.  

But I don't know if that means they actually will.  I don't think Elias is the guy who's going to spend just to spend and overpay for a guy and give an extra year or two to someone who's on the wrong side of 30.  I can easily see him getting to free agency and deciding that, from his perception, the market isn't good and that it doesn't make sense to spend.  And so, we don't get any shiny new toys for 2023.

In other words, he hasn't come this far and meticulously put together a roster of young talent and a system of prospects to spend frivolously and make bad deals.

And then there'll be a bunch of tears on here headed into spring training about how enough wasn't done in the offseason to surround Adley, Gunnar, Hall, G-Rod, etc with good talent. 

I can easily, easily see that being a scenario.   

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

If you just jinxed them, it is all in you.  I don’t care a lick About ‘cuse, but I would never say such a thing in advance of a game.

They're playing Wagner.  Wagner lost to Sacred Heart last year.  I think Sacred Heart is a convent.  The only way we lose is if the Dome roof collapses.  

17 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

They're playing Wagner.  Wagner lost to Sacred Heart last year.  I think Sacred Heart is a convent.  The only way we lose is if the Dome roof collapses.  

That makes sense.  Maybe they should play in Manley field house 

Edited by Chelsea_Phil