The MLB Playoffs General Game Thread

Moose Milligan

17 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Sensing the creeping panic at Yankee Stadium brings me so much joy. 

And then the rush for the Exits in the 8th inning.

At the risk of repeating Gary Sheffield's blunder of asking why the Red Sox are even showing up for game four of the 2004 playoff, which, as everyone here knows, Boston then went on to win in historic fashion, the Yankees are dead. A sweep would be merciful.

17 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Check swings are such a frustrating part of the game. I almost feel like while MLB is in the rule change mood, just call any check swing a strike and be done with it. OR make a check swing a half-strike in an at-bat. Two of them by the same batter in an at-bat is a whole strike charged. Yes, sounds like sandlot, but that's where we are anyway with ghost runners, etc. 

It will never happen, if anything it will be the opposite, any checked swing is not a strike. MLB is desperate to increase offense.

32 minutes ago, LA2 said:

At the risk of repeating Gary Sheffield's blunder of asking why the Red Sox are even showing up for game four of the 2004 playoff, which, as everyone here knows, Boston then went on to win in historic fashion, the Yankees are dead. A sweep would be merciful.

That was in the steroid era. A comeback from 0-3 had never happened before that, and will not happen again after.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean the batting average is pretty good but I'm worried he isn't walking enough.

What if he slumps and won't have the walks to still provide value?

On a serious note, that Harper deal doesn't look bad.

Walks? Who needs any stinking walks?

17 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Cristian Javier in 2022 has basically had the 2023 I dream of Grayson Rodriguez having, all the way now down to the detail of being just plain better than Gerrit Cole in October.

I've got an interview with Oz Ocampo, Astros' International Crosschecker, where he talks quite a bit about what they saw in Javier, and I'll be posting it in the Minors forum shortly (or the International Forum? Is there one?) 

He talked about several players in detail and I transcribed it a couple of days ago, so I can't recall the specifics of whether it was his curveball or not. But the interview of him was pretty interesting, to see what they were looking for back in, say, 2015-2017, to provide this basically homegrown group of guys vying for the ALCS. 

3 hours ago, LA2 said:

They were saying 25 or 30 percent were gone by the 7th, 50 percent by the 8th. Just wow. 

18 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Cristian Javier in 2022 has basically had the 2023 I dream of Grayson Rodriguez having, all the way now down to the detail of being just plain better than Gerrit Cole in October.

Speaking of "our guys in our dreams," I wonder if Gunnar will be our Rhys Hoskins?

3 hours ago, justD said:

They were saying 25 or 30 percent were gone by the 7th, 50 percent by the 8th. Just wow. 

That's the type of ish that gets into their psyches. Deflate, discourage and cast doubt in every player. No chance for a comeback if no one believes. What the fans did to Joey Gallo. We've seen a lot of comebacks in recent days, could they have rallied if the fans stood and cheered out their minds? I'd hate playing in New York.

• Upvote 1