The MLB Playoffs General Game Thread

Moose Milligan

17 hours ago, Just Regular said:

A day after the Dodgers sat Bellinger in an elimination game, the Yankees are doing likewise with Kiner-Falefa, who got 131 regular season starts.

Kiner-Falefa had a horrible game at SS the day before and is not much of a hitter.

Yankees continue to have lack of communication between their leftfielders and Josh Donaldson on pop flies: Saturday it was Oswaldo Cabrera, last night Aaron Hicks. Both times led to runs.

It probably isn't the biggest stage ever for one of these, but Padres Bat Austin Nola 12.28.1989 vs Phillies Arm Aaron Nola 6.4.1993 is an interesting extra bit in the Manny v. Bryce NLCS showdown.    The brothers together earned 8 WAR this past year (6-2 split).

Like Kyle and Corey Seager, the Nolas look like another case where Little Brother seems to have the bigger talent.   No clue if Austin ever wore "Aaron's Brother" on a Players Weekend.

I guess 3.5 years apart Austin may have been in 12th grade when Aaron was in 9th if the freshman was good enough to make varsity.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, LA2 said:

Saw this one on b&w TV in '65: first career home run of Andy Etchebarren, who was a lot slower than Realmuto, in his 8th career at-bat <https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA196509062.shtml>.

I was at that game and saw Etch's home run.  I remember posting a description of the play - it might still be around in the Orioles History forum.

The reason Etch was able to score was that Mickey Mantle, who had a sore arm, was playing left field instead of his usual center field.  Mantle was unable to handle the carom out of the left field corner and had to chase the ball along the warning track as it rolled toward the bullpen gate, 402 feet from the plate.  By the time he finally got to it, all he could do was lob the ball to Tom Tresh, coming over from center field.  And by the time Tresh could get the ball back to the infield, Etchebarren was able to beat the relay to the plate (but just barely). 😀

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WillyM said:

I was at that game and saw Etch's home run.  I remember posting a description of the play - it might still be around in the Orioles History forum.

The reason Etch was able to score was that Mickey Mantle, who had a sore arm, was playing left field instead of his usual center field.  Mantle was unable to handle the carom out of the left field corner and had to chase the ball along the warning track as it rolled toward the bullpen gate, 402 feet from the plate.  By the time he finally got to it, all he could do was lob the ball to Tom Tresh, coming over from center field.  And by the time Tresh could get the ball back to the infield, Etchebarren was able to beat the relay to the plate (but just barely). 

Thanks for the great details. I remember him barely beating the throw too. Tom Tresh! He was a versatile player (lots of games at both SS and the OF). Looking up his stats now, I'm surprised to see his very high walk totals--had always assumed he was a free swinging  Bomber.

Civale out after five batters. Four of whom reached. Not sure who else was an option but this was a bad choice. Bieber was ready to go on three days rest (same as Cortes) but they didn’t want to ‘risk it’. What does that even mean?  It’s wok or go home man. At least give it a shot with your CY guy. 

• Upvote 2

Sigh.    

Aaron Civale would be a fine get for the 2023 Orioles but is also kind of a poster child for how on a per-batter basis, backend SP's are basically the LEAST effective of all MLB pitchers.

His value across the 162 is the quantity of okay innings he can give you.

Maybe today will help his trade availability!

Wife just now:

(note, this is heavy sarcasm on her part)  

"Great, now I'll have to pull for the Astros."

She only hates the Yankees a little more than Houston. 

It took 50 pitches and two pitchers for CLE to get out of the first inning. Blood bath. 

Edited by NashLumber